*•chapter two•*

chapter two :
Sticks and Shells
|
19:05 | 7:05 pm — (y/n)
—————————————

"This would be a lot easier with Mr. H's chainsaw." Nick's voice had broken the silence between the three friends. You and Abi let out a small snort at the irony.

"It's really very pretty out here when there's no kids around.." Abi mentioned, you agreed.

"Yeah, no more having to worry about whether or not they've fallen behind or got a pebble in their shoe." You gestured to your foot, wiggling it a little as you walked.

"They can get kinda obnoxious, huh?" Nick said to the two of you. You and Abi nodded your heads in reply.

To your right, Abi had slowed down her walking pace and grabbed a stick. When she got back up, she hadn't ran forward to catch up with you and Nick. You silently thanked her for giving you a chance to get closer with Nick.

"You always know how to calm them down when they're hurt. Like if they have a splinter or a cut on their arm." Nick pointed out to you.

"And how would you know that? You spying on me, Nicky?" You teased with a smile. Nick bit his bottom lip before smiling back at you.

"Just walking by..."

"Well the nurse's station is very far from the store."

"There's a shortcut I know, gets me there faster."

"Okay, Mr. Speedy.." You both walked in unison but slowed to a stop when you reached the signs that pointed towards the two scenic routes. Abi had caught up to you both and stood next to you.

"Which way do you wanna go?" Nick asked you both.

"I don't know.." You answered.

"How about I go one way, and you guys go the other? That way we can get more sticks." Abi suggested.

Oh how much you loved Abi right now.

"We'll go down Shady Glade and you go down Rocky Road?" You asked Abi.

"Yeah, sounds good! They both connect by a stopping point so, meet you in a few?"  Abi said. You gave her a nod and watched as she walked down the path, now leaving Nick and you alone.

[ 𝐏𝐀𝐓𝐇 𝐂𝐇𝐎𝐒𝐄𝐍 ]

"So, let's go?" Nick asked you. You nodded and followed along.

"Shit!"

You gasped as you watched Nick slip on a rock and fall down a small hill. You peered down at him, hearing him in pain made your heart hurt.

"Oh my god! Are you alright?" You asked him, going down on your knees to attempt to get a better look.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Nick had gotten up to his feet and raised his arms up, "Come down. I'll catch you."

You hesitated before going down slowly. "I swear to god! If you let me fall and die, I'm telling my brother."

Missing your step, you slipped on a rock and fell down the rest of the way. Thankfully, Nick had caught you and let you back down slowly.

"Thanks.." You mumbled.

You began walking down the trail with your sticks, Nick now following behind you. The silence between you two was awkward but comfortable at the same time. The occasional bird chirping and wind blowing kept the journey from becoming a suffocating silence.