PP (5)

Mabel kept her eyes on the tree. She knocked on it a second time, once again hearing the sound of metal. "Is this one of Grunkle Ford's things?" Mabel asked. She passed her hand on the tree, seeing crevices of what seemed to be a small door. "Oh, Dipper should be here to see this!" Mabel opened the door. Inside was a lever controller, she laughed a bit and played with the levers. The sound of something opening and closing multiple times behind her made her turn her head.

"Okay, what?"

She pulled one lever, that did nothing. She pulled the other lever, a metal-door hidden in the snow opened, revealing a square-shaped hole. Mabel approached the hole, seeing inside a red notebook with a golden hand and a number three on it. She pulled it out and blew on the notebook, coughing a bit and then opening it.

"Property of. . ."

She passed the page, seeing many creatures on the notebook. Her eyes were wide in surprise and excitement. But her excitement started to fade as she read black big words on a page.

"Trust no one?!" Mabel almost shouted. "But-But why?"

Mabel looked at Grunts. "Do you know something?"

Grunts just looked at her for a few seconds. He ran back to the lab, Mabel ran after him. Grunts only stopped when Dipper approached, it jumped on his arms.

"Have you been chasing him all this time?" Dipper asked.

"In my defense, Grunts is fast!" Mabel said.

"What's that in your hand?"

Mabel quickly glanced at the journal. She carefully peeked her surroundings before she pulled Dipper to a corner and lowered her voice. "This is a journal I found on the woods."

"Why are you whispering?" Dipper asked, whispering.

Mabel opened the journal on the page written "Trust No One". Dipper's eyes widened in shock. "Because of this." she whispered. "But you're my brother, I trust you."

"But," Dipper put Grunts down. "Why would this person not want us to trust anyone?"

"I don't know," Mabel said. "Take a look."

Mabel handed Dipper the journal. He passed the pages and carefully viewed each and everything, from pictures and drawings to the notes in black at the corners. "Wait," Dipper murmured. "Do you think grunkle Ford wrote this?"

"It could be." Mabel said. Since she saw that tree on the woods she already suspected Ford had something to do with this, or maybe, he had a partner or a friend investigating with him. She couldn't know. So she decided to stick to the first possibilty.

"If it was him, then there's something else behind him not wanting us to explore."

"That's true," Mabel said. "But what could've happened?"

"I don't know." Dipper replied. "But I don't think Grunkle Ford is telling us."

Silence filled the hall for a minute. Dipper gave Mabel the journal - he felt like since she was the one to find it, she should keep it. He looked at the marble floor, filled with doubts and questions.

"Hey," Mabel caught his attention. "Why don't we go into our own adventure?"

"Without our Grunkle?" Dipper asked.

"Without our Grunkle!" Mabel said.

"That could be a way of proving we can take care of ourselves in adventures!" Dipper said. "Let's go!"

The twins made their way out of the lab, making sure no one saw them leaving. But they weren't aware that someone had heard their conversation, and indeed was going to follow them.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Mabel and Dipper were on the woods together, searching for something Mabel had found on the journal. A cave, with probably some crystals inside. The journal had questions and the author either didn't write down the answer, or hid it with some invisible ink.

"And. . . here!" Mabel said.

The cave was big enough for someone ten times as their size to fit, some icicles could be seen inside. "Alright, let's get inside carefully. . . and hope those icicles won't fall on our heads."

Grunts stood at the entrance of the cave, slightly hidden, as if he was afraid of something. Mabel and Dipper pulled out flashlights and walked inside, looking around. They saw nothing but the cold ice and the rocky walls and top.

"Guess there's nothing here." Dipper said.

"D-Dipper," Mabel called.

"What?" Dipper asked.

Mabel pointed her flashlight toa giant black bear that was curled up. Dipper looked at it and noticed it was asleep, he gulped. "Mabel, turn off the flashlight before you wake it!"

The bear woke up with a loud yawn. He caught sight of Dipper and Mabel and growled, the sound echoed through the cave, sending shivers down the twins's spines as they flinched in fear.

Too late.

"Oh boy." Mabel mumbled.

"Congratulations," Dipper mumbled. "We are in danger." he added. The bear started to stand.

"Run!"

Dipper and Mabel ran out of the cave. the bear put all its claws on the ground and ran after them. They barely managed to get out of the cave when the bear jumped above and landed in front of them, still growling.

"You dare wake me!?"

"We're really sorry Mr. Bear!" Mabel shouted.

"We mean no trouble! We just wanted to see what was inside! We didn't know it was you!" Dipper said.

"Do you even know who I am?!" the bear asked. The twins denied, making the bear even more mad. "I am the Undying Bear! The beast that roams the night!"

"It's really cool meeting you."

Mabel looked at Dipper with wide eyes, then she looked back at the bear.

"You shouldn't have come here. . . Pines." the bear said.

"It knows our surname?!" Mabel thought.

". . .How do you know who we are?" Dipper asked.

"Dipper!" Mabel shouted.

"You look like him," the bear stated. "But the worst part, you smell. . ."

The bear stopped and sniffed the air. "Like a wheel."

The growl got louder. Dipper and Mabel took some steps back. "Look, you could just. . . let us go and sleep again! We won't disturb you anymore!" Mabel said.

"I have a better idea," the bear said. It grabbed a tree and pulled it from the ground, raising it on his arms. "Why don't you pay the consequences?"

The twins hugged each other. The bear threw the tree at them and they screamed, closing their eyes tightly and lowering her heads. But nothing happened, there was nothing attacking them. The bear was as surprised as the two, but its surprise turned into anger in a blink of an eye.

"Of course," the bear murmured. "Of course you'd play hero."

Dipper slowly opened one of his eyes, but both opened wide at the sight he caught. "Mabel. . . look."

Mabel opened one of her eyes, then both opened, widened in shock. "What?"