DRH (5)

Dipper and Pacifica stopped in front of a small cave, Dipper had a sketchbook in his hands and a pen on his ear, Pacifica had a lantern on her hand.

"Are there. . . creatures inside?" Dipper asked.

"Why? Scared?" Pacifica asked.

"No! Me? Scared? Pfft, nah!"

That was obviously a lie.

Pacifica laughed a bit. "So adorable." she thought. "No, there are no creatures here." she answered. "That I'm aware, at least."

Dipper felt a bit anxious, what if inside was a creature? Maybe Pacifica didn't know about all of the dangers the city had, but Dipper knew little about it. He felt like he should trust her, but could he really do it?

Pacifica let out a small annoyed groan and grabbed Dipper's wrist, going inside of the cave with him. She turned on the lantern, its light was a bright shade of lilac, she illuminated one of the crystals, which soon glowed cyan at the contact with the light.

The other crystals started to glow too, Dipper's eyes widened in amazement. "Woah... That's—" He paused. "Amazing!" Dipper said.

"I know." Pacifica said. "I like to come here to read and forget the world exists."

"What kind of books do you like?" Dipper asked, looking at Pacifica.

"It's a girls thing, you wouldn't like it." Pacifica said. "But if you insist in knowing, I like to read “The Prophecy of Hagar”."

"That's not a girly book! I like it!" Dipper said.

"Wait, really?" Pacifica asked.

"Yeah!" Dipper said. "People make fun of me because of it—" he paused for a second, looking away. "Please don't judge me."

She normally would, but she didn't want to. Something inside of her made her feel like she shouldn't mess with him, but protect him, like he wasn't a threat, he was a friend, maybe they could be. . .

Something more even.

"No, I won't." Pacifica answered.

"Thank you." Dipper said, smiling a bit.

Pacifica thought, then decided to take a risk. "Do you wanna read it with me?"

"Wait, really?" Dipper asked.

"Yeah, I have all of the seven volumes." Pacifica answered.

"Wait, what?! I didn't manage to get past the fourth one!" Dipper said.

"Really? Why? Couldn't afford it?" Pacifica asked, a bit teasingly.

Dipper felt a bit embarrassed, slowly nodding while glancing to the side. Pacifica was surprised, for a moment she forgot poor people existed.

"I see. . ." Pacifica said, coughing afterwards. "Well, I can buy you some books."

"Wait, buy?!" Dipper asked.

"Yes, buy." Pacifica answered.

"That's a bit too much, Pacifica." Dipper stated. "Why are you being so nice to me?"

"Because you're nice to me." Pacifica answered. "I feel like we could be something."

"Friends?" Dipper asked.

"Yeah. . . friends." Pacifica said.

"You already said that." Dipper said. "But I like the idea."

Pacifica nodded twice, then she glanced at the side. "Friends. . . For now at least." she thought.