Chapter 5: The Gentle Giant

Hut on the Rock – Night

The scene opens to a stormy night. The camera zooms in on a particular hut on a rock island. Vernon and Petunia sleep on a lumpy bed in the hut's only bedroom. Dudley snores on a moth-eaten sofa. Harry lies on the bare floor beneath a ragged blanket. Lightning flashes. As the room goes dark again, Harry studies then lighted dial of Dudley's watch. As it ticks toward midnight, Harry puts the last touches to a birthday cake he's etched in the dust that layers the floor.

"Make a wish, Harry." Harry whispers to himself.

Watching the scene. James made a promise to himself. 'He'll have the best birthdays.'

He closes his eyes, he... blows... and the 'flames' of dust scatter. Eyes still closed; Harry holds the wish when... Boom! The door shudders. Hinges squeal. A pin squirrels out of its housing. Falls to the floor. Boom! Vernon comes sledding into the room in his socks, a rifle in hand, paper hanging by a string from the barrel.

The muggle-borns gasped at the sight. "What's wrong?" Sirius asked. Being a pure-blood, he didn't know about muggle contraptions.

"It's a gun! He has a gun near children." Lily said.

"What's a gun?" Narcissa asked. She was worried, because of the reactions, she knew it was something dangerous and it was near children.

"It's a muggle contraption with the ability to kill people with a single metal object called a bullet." Lily answered.

"Who's there?" Vernon calls out. "I warn you – I'm armed!"

Smash! The door falls flat. An immense silhouette stands against the raging sea outside, identical to the beastly figure seen climbing the stairs in Godric's Hollow. He is Hagrid and is, rather obviously, a giant. Presently he is standing on the front door. "Er, right. Sorry 'bout that..." Hagrid says, sheepishly. Hagrid steps clear, takes the door, and fits it back into its frame. Glances at Dudley, believing it to be Harry and frowns.

"Mind, I haven't seen yeh since you was a baby, Harry but yeh're a bit more along than I woulda expected. 'Specially round the middle." Hagrid says.

"I'm not Harry." Dudley responds, terrified of the giant man who had just broken their door.

Harry walks out of hiding. "I am." He says. Hagrid turns, watches Harry's face come into the light.

"Well now, course yeh are."

"I demand that you leave at once, sir! You are breaking and entering!" Vernon demands.

"Ah, dry up, Dursley, yeh great prune." Hagrid takes the rifle, knots it like a piece of liquorice.

"Anyway, Harry. Got summat fer yeh. 'Fraid I mighta sat on it at some point, but 'magine it'll taste all right jus' the same... let's see now... got it somewhere..." Hagrid rummages in his coat, removes: a kettle, frying pan, sausages, one pink umbrella.

"Blimey, how has Hagrid got all that in his pocket." Ron said, as on-screen Hagrid took out multiple things from his pocket.

Finally, a squashed paper box containing a chocolate cake with "Happee Birthdae, Harry" scrawled in green icing.

"Oh Hagrid." Lily whispered. She made a mental note to thank him since he wasn't with them.

"Baked it meself, words an' all."

"Thank you."

"Well, it's not ev'ry day yer young man turns 'leven." Hagrid turns to the fireplace, gives the embers a poke with the pink umbrella. As they roar to life, he takes the drying pan, lobs in the sausages. Dudley perks up as they sizzle.