Chapter 5: The Whomping Willow

The scene dissolved to King's Cross in the morning.

Amid a neat line of cars, the Anglia sat at a decidedly odd angle, as if its driver was not the most skilled motorist.

The Weasleys and Harry - pushing large trolleys - dashed under the large clock which read two minutes to eleven.

"Oh dear! The train'll be leaving any moment! All together now!" Mrs Weasley panicked. Hurrying, they race to platforms nine and ten. Quickly, Percy, Fred and George strode briskly toward the stone barrier that divided the platforms and simply disappeared. "Go on, Ginny. You know what to do."

Ginny, looking a bit nervous, rushed toward the barrier, closed her eyes, and sled out onto the other side. As she gazed at the Hogwarts Express, Mr and Mrs Weasley materialized at her side.

"Come, Ginny. We'll get you a seat." Mrs Weasley said as they walked towards the train.

***

Back on the other side of the platform, Ron glanced at the clock. "We better hurry."

Harry nodded, leaned into his trolley and crashed into the barrier and bounced back into Ron. A guard glowered. "What in blazes d'you two think you're doing?" The guard asked.

"That had to hurt." Regulus said.

"It did." Harry nodded.

"Sorry. Lost control of the trolley." Harry nodded, he looked at Ron. "Why can't we get through?"

"I dunno. The gateway's sealed itself for some reason." As Ron pressed his ear to the barrier, the clock chimed.

"The train leaves at exactly eleven o'clock. We've missed it." Harry said.

"Can't hear a thing." Ron shook his head, then had a sudden thought. "Harry. If we can't get through, maybe Mum and Dad can't get back."

"Maybe we should go wait by the car." Harry suggested.

"The car!" Ron exclaimed.

"Amazing, how a dumb plan had a smart start." Zoe teased.

"Wasn't my plan. It was Ron's." Harry defended himself.

***

The scene changed to show the parking lot. Pushing their trolleys madly before them, Harry and Ron dashed to the car and loaded their belongings into the Anglia's boot.

"This is mad. We can't drive to Hogwarts." Harry said.

"Who says we're driving?" Ron responded.

"Flying is still driving." Arthur told his son - who rolled his eyes in response.

"You don't mean... Ron, no." Harry shook his head.

"Look, who knows when Mum and Dad will get back. And we've got to get to school, haven't we? And even underage wizards are allowed to use magic if it's an absolute emergency. Least that's what Fred and George always say..." Ron said.

"This didn't count as an emergency, Ronald." Hermione said.

"Something tells me we're going to regret this." Harry muttered.

"And I was right."

***

Now in the Ford Anglia, Ron tapped his wand on the dash and the Anglia burbled to life.

"I am not going to like this." Lily muttered. She knew something was going to go wrong.

"No offense, Ron, but are you sure you know how to fly this?" Harry asked him.