Chapter 4: Flourish and Blotts

Everyone gathered in front of the large fireplace.

"I hate Floo powder journey, especially when you're sick. It can make you really dizzy." James Sirius said.

"You first, Harry dear." Mrs Weasley said as she offered Harry a flowerpot. At the bottom was a layer of very soft dust. Harry frowned in confusion.

"Sure, have the kid who's still brand new to the Wizarding World use the sensitive travel method." Zoe said, sarcastically.

"Harrys never travelled by Floo Powder before, Mum." Ron told her.

"Floo Powder?" Harry asked. Just then, Ron's older brother Percy entered.

"Percy. Would you mind going first, so Harry can see how it's done?" Mrs Weasley asked.

"No, someone should be with Harry." Lily said.

"Certainly, Mother. Don't worry, Harry. It's simple enough." Percy said, reassuring Harry. Percy took a pinch from the pot and pitched it into the fireplace and bright green flames roared high. To Harry's amazement, Percy calmly walked... straight into them. "Diagon Alley." Percy said and he vanished. Tentatively, Harry reached into the pot.

"Remember to speak clearly, dear!" Mrs Weasley reminded him.

"And mind you get out at the right grate!" Ron said.

Harry nodded. "D-Dia-gon Alley!" He stuttered.

"Yeah, I didn't get to Diagon Alley." Harry said.

***

The sound was deafening as Harry hurtled forward, squinting against the sting of whirling soot and the mad, flickering lights of passing fireplaces. He fell face forward.

Barty covered his eyes. "That visual gave me a headache."

***

Harry came out onto a stone hearth. Dizzy and dirty, Harry reclaimed his shattered glasses. He's tumbled into a wizard's shop, but a decidedly creepy one. He started to exit, when a withered hand in a glass case caught his eye: The Hand of Glory. Nearby, an opal necklace gleams:

Caution: Do not touch. Cursed-Has Claimed the Lives of Nineteen Muggle Owners to Date.

"Your glasses are always breaking." Narcissa said to him.

Oddly transfixed by it all, Harry drifted toward the exit, when Draco Malfoy, Zoe Ollivander and Lucius Malfoy, appeared beyond the front window, approaching the shop. Harry glanced about, he saw a large black cabinet and slipped inside. As he pulled the doors closed, a tiny card swings into view:

Crushing Cabinet.

"That is not a place I would hide." Albus Severus said.

Draco, Zoe and his Father entered the shop. A stooped man (Mr Borgin) emerged from the back room. In the cabinet, Harry watched, unaware that the walls around him were... slowly closing In.

"Mr Malfoy! What a pleasure to see you again." Mr Borgin greeted him. "If I may, just in today..." He was interrupted by Lucius.

"I'm not buying today, Mr Borgin. But selling." Lucius informed him.

"Selling?" Mr Borgin asked.

"You have heard, of course, that the Ministry of Magic is conducting more raids. There are even rumours of a new Muggle Protection Act." Lucius unravelled a roll of parchment and handed it to Borgin. "I have a few... ah... items at home that might prove embarrassing if the Ministry were to call. Certain poisons and the like..."