Chapter 8: The Legend

Harry, Ron and Hermione walked down the corridor.

"A Squib's someone who's born into a wizarding family but hasn't got any powers of their own. It's why Filch is trying to learn magic from a Kwikspell course. It's also why he hates students so much. He's bitter." Ron explained.

Hermione had only been half-listening. Instead, she was trying to unravel something in her mind. "Harry. This voice. You said you heard it first in Lockhart's office?" She asked.

Harry nodded. "Yes."

"And did he hear it?" She questioned further.

Harry shook his head. "He said he didn't."

"Maybe he was lying." Ron suggested.

"I hardly think someone with Gilderoy Lockhart's credentials would lie to one of his students, Ronald. Besides, if you recall, we didn't hear anything either." Hermione rolled her eyes.

Everyone groaned. Annoyed at the girl's defence of a fake professor.

"You do believe me, don't you?" Harry asked.

"Course we do. It's just... it's a bit weird, isn't it? You hear this voice and then... Mrs Norris turns up petrified." Hermione said.

"I can't explain it - it was... scary." Harry frowned. "D'you think I should've told them - Dumbledore and the others, I mean."

"Are you mad!" Ron exclaimed.

"No, Harry. Even in the wizarding world, hearing voices isn't a good sign." Hermione said.

"It could also mean, he's a seer. Not saying he is, because we know he's not. But hearing voices is not a bad thing, it could mean anything." Arthur explained.

***

The next morning, Professor McGonagall stood before her class. Resting on the desk in front of each student was a different animal. "Today, we will be turning animals into water goblets." She announced. She tapped the bird in front of her, three times, with the tip of her wand and transfigured into a beautiful crystal water goblet. "Now, who would like to go first... Mr Weasley?" Ron nodded and tapped his rat, Scabbers, who turned into a goblet... but with a tail. "You must replace that wand, Mr Weasley." Ron nodded sheepishly and looked at his broken wand. McGonagall saw Hermione's raised hand... and her untouched animal. "Yes, Miss Granger?" Professor McGonagall sighed.

"You shouldn't do magic with a broken wand. You're just going to get someone killed." Narcissa said.

"Professor, I was wondering if you could tell us about the Chamber of Secrets?" Hermione asked.

A hush fell over the class. Zoe rolled her eyes.

"My subject is Transfiguration, Miss Granger." Professor McGonagall said.

"Yes, Professor. But there seems to be very little written about the Chamber of Secrets. For those of us with a personal interest in the subject, that is... disturbing." Hermione said.

"That's why you ask the history of magic teacher, not transfiguration." Lily Luna rolled her eyes.

Malfoy regarded Hermione with chilly amusement. Professor McGonagall considered Hermione's question for a long moment, then nodded.

"Very well. You all know, of course, that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin. Three of the founders co-existed quite harmoniously. One did not."

"Three guesses who?" Ron whispered to Harry.

"Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed that magical learning should be kept within all-magic families. In other words, purebloods. Unable to sway the others, he decided to leave the school. According to legend, Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in this castle, known as the Chamber of Secrets. Shortly before departing, he sealed it until that time when his own true heir returned to the school. The heir alone would be able to open the Chamber of Secrets and unleash the horror within, and by so doing, purge the school of all those who, in Slytherin's view, were unworthy to study magic."

"All that legend does is paint Salazar in a negative light." Zoe scoffed.

"Muggle-borns." Hermione gasped.

Professor McGonagall nodded. "Yes. Naturally, the school has been searched many times for such a chamber. It has never been found."

"Professor, what exactly does legend tell us lies within the Chamber?" Hermione asked.

"The Chamber is said to be home to something which the heir of Slytherin alone can control. It is said to be home... to a monster." Professor McGonagall said.

"Asmodeus is not a monster!" Scorpius yelled.

Zoe's eyes widen. "Asmodeus is still alive in the future."

Scorpius nodded. "Him and his child."

"Child!" Zoe gasped.

Ron's eyes shifted. Malfoy sat calmly, smiling at Zoe, who looked annoyed.

Draco looked at Zoe. "What's wrong?" He asked her.

"This legend makes Salazar sound like a monster. It's a lie." She scoffed.

Draco wrapped his arm around her shoulder. "Hey, we'll ask Salazar for his side, then we'll make sure that the truth gets out there." He promised.

***

Harry, Hermione, and Ron thread their way through the teeming corridor. Up ahead, Draco and Zoe walked with Crabbe and Goyle.

"D'you think it's true? D'you think there really is a Chamber of Secrets?" Ron asked.

"Yes. Couldn't you tell? McGonagall's worried. All the teachers are." Hermione said.

"But if there really is a Chamber of Secrets, and it's really been opened, that means..." Harry trailed.

"The Heir of Slytherin has returned to Hogwarts. The question is, who is it?" Hermione asked.

Ron looked at them in mock puzzlement. "Let's think. Who do we know who thinks Muggle-borns are scum." The trio looked at Draco, smiling with Zoe.

Hermione eyed Draco. "If you're talking about him..."

"Of course! You heard him: 'You'll be next, Mudbloods'!" Ron said.

"I heard him. But Malfoy? The Heir of Slytherin?" Hermione asked.

"Maybe Ron's right, Hermione. I mean, look at his family. The whole lot of them have been in Slytherin for centuries." Harry said.

"Crabbe and Goyle must know. Maybe we could trick them into telling..." Ron said but Hermione cut him off.

"No. Even they aren't that thick. But there might be another way. Mind you, it would be difficult. Not to mention we'd be breaking about fifty school rules. And it would be dangerous. Very dangerous." She said.

"When do we start?" Ron asked.

"Spoken like a true Gryffindor." Molly said, making Rom puff his chest out in pride.

"Yes, just like a Gryffindor to run straight into danger and being stupid." Zoe said, making Molly and Ron (who was no longer puffing his chest) glare at her.