Chapter 21: The Man with Two Faces

Last Corridor - Moments Later

Alone, Harry makes his way through a corridor that drops down like a tunnel. Up ahead, a chamber glimmers.

The Last Chamber - Night

Harry descends a staircase. As the chamber below comes into view, he sees a figure standing before the Mirror of Erised. "You!" Harry gasps. The figure turns. It is Professor Quirrell. "No. It can't be. Snape..."

"No way!" Everyone, except Zoe, Draco, Harry, Ron, Hermione and Severus, yelled.

"Told you." Zoe and Severus said.

"Mm, yes, he does seem the type, doesn't he? So useful Snape. Swooping around like an overgrown bat. Next to him, who would suspect p-poor st-stuttering professor Quirrell." Quirrell says, no longer having a stutter.

"But that day, during the Quidditch match... Snape tried to kill me." Harry says.

"No, dear boy, I tried to kill you." Quirrell denies. "And, trust me, if Snape's cloak hadn't caught fire and broken my eye contact, I would have succeeded. Even with Severus and Zoe muttering their little counter-curse."

"Snape and Zoe were trying to save me?" Harry gasps softly.

"Oh, don't misunderstand. He hates you, just as he hated your father when they were at Hogwarts together. But he never wanted you dead. You father, after all, saved his life once, long ago." Harry looks stunned. Quirrell looks amused. "Didn't know? Surprising, given how curious you are Potter. I knew you were a danger to me right off. Especially after Halloween."

"That's right, I have a life debt to Potter, saving young Potter would complete it." Severus said.

"You let the Troll in." Harry realises.

Quirrell nods, examining the Mirror as he speaks. "Yes. I have a way with trolls. Snape, unfortunately, wasn't fooled. While everyone else was running about the dungeons, he went straight to the Third Floor to head me off. That three-head dog didn't even manage to bite Snape's leg off properly. He, of course, never trusted me again. Rarely left me alone. But he doesn't understand. I am never alone. Never..." He frowns. "Now what does this Mirror do? I see what I desire, I see myself holding the Stone. But how do I get it?"

"Use the boy." Harry glanced about in horror as the dark voice echoes. Quirrell turns, eyes Harry.

"Where the hell did that voice come from?" Arthur jumped.

"A terrifying place." Harry shuddered as he remembered Voldemort's face on the back of Quirrell's head.

"Come here, Potter." Quirrell demands.

Quirrell points to the Mirror. As Harry steps in front, he sees... Zoe. She smiles, she places her hand on her thigh, Harry's own eyes widen - in a mixture of stunned disbelief and fear. Struggling to control his expression, he shuts his eyes briefly... as if making a wish... lets out a breath, and opens them once again. His reflection winks, returns the stone to its pockets and, to Harry's amazement... it dropped heavily into his own: He's got on the Stone.

"You saw me?" Zoe whispered, she looked at him. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Honestly... I don't know." Harry answered.

"You can stop him, Harry. You have the power in your hands. But this will affect your mental being. Find me before you leave... I'll help you." Zoe gives him a final smile before disappearing. The screen shows the journey of the mirror Zoe to the real Zoe, who's eyes were white and returns to normal. The screen transitions back to Harry.