Chapter 9: Sorting Hat

Hogsmeade Station – Hogwarts – Night

As the scarlet engine hisses to a stop, Harry and the others spill out. Harry's robes shimmer grandly, while Ron's second-hand silks show a bit too much sneaker. "Firs' years! Firs' years over here!" Hagrid gives Harry a wink as he comes loping out of the darkness, swinging a lamp. Ron, preoccupied with wiping his nose clean on his robes, stops, dumbstruck by Hagrid's size.

Black Lake – Moments Later – Night

A fleet of tiny boats glides silently over a glassy lake. Harry rides with Ron, Hermione and Neville Longbottom, gazing at the dark trees of the forest that surrounds them. A glint of silver flickers through the black trees, like a dream. Harry watches, transfixed. "You there! don' be trailin' yer fingers in the water. Yeh might find yeh don' get 'em all back."

Harry turns, sees that Hagrid is speaking to a pointy faced boy {Draco Malfoy}. Malfoy eyes Hagrid darkly, whispers to a pair of thick-looking boys {Crabbe and Goyle}. Harry peers into the black water, sees his own pale face looking back, then a soft glitter of reflected light dances on the surface. He looks up, watches a magnificent castle drift into view. Hogwarts.

Entrance Hall – Hogwarts Castle – Night

Harry and the others enter a grand entryway lit with flaming torches. Professor McGonagall, a rather severe-looking witch in an emerald cloak, stands before a pair of towering doors. She lifts her chin, surveys the new students.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. In a moment, you will pass through these doors and join your classmates, but before you can take your seats, you must be sorted into your Houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. While here, your House is, in many ways, your family. Your triumphs will earn your House points, while any rule-breaking will lose with the most is awarded the House Cup, a great honour. I hope each of you..."

"That's the same speech you gave us Minnie." Remus pointed out.

"I've always used that speech. It's straight to the point. You don't fix something that isn't broke."

Just then a rather large toad springs forth, croaks. "Trevor!" Neville blissfully relieved, gathers his toad, then peers up from the hem of Professor McGonagall's robes.

"...will be a credit to whichever House becomes yours. The Sorting Ceremony will begin momentarily." Professor McGonagall glowers at Neville, then exits. As she goes, there is a brief clamour of sound from the students waiting in the Great Hall beyond.

"Aww Minnie. That wasn't necessary. He found his pet after being worried. You scared the poor boy." Lily teased the professor.

"How exactly do they sort us?" Harry whispers to Ron.

"Some kind of test, I think. Fred says it hurts like hell, but I'm sure he was joking. At least... I think he was."

Just then, Draco Malfoy pushes through the crowd, shadowed by the boys from the boat. Malfoy stares openly at Harry's scar. "It's true then, what they were saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts." Harry's eyes slide, appraise the other two boys. "Oh. This is Crabbe and Goyle. And my name's Malfoy. Draco Malfoy." Ron coughs, masking a snigger. Malfoy's eyes narrow. "Think my name's funny, do you? No need to ask yours. Red hair, freckles, and a hand-me-down robe – you must be a Weasley." He insults Ron; he turns his head towards Harry. "You'll soon find out some wizarding families are better than others, Potter. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there." Malfoy extends his hand, but Harry's gaze remains level.

"I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself, thanks."

"Ha ha! That's my boy." James cheered at his son's words.