Chapter 10: First Night

Marble Staircase – Hogwarts – Later – Night

As the new Gryffindors follow Percy up the staircase, Harry stares in wonderment at the portraits on the walls: the people in them move.

"This is the most direct path to the dormitory, except on Fridays, of course, when the staircases... change." Percy points out. As the staircase before them moves to the right, Percy waits briefly, then leads on without comment to a new corridor. Up ahead, Harry spies a bundle of walking sticks floating in mid-air. Without warning, the walking sticks come flying forth. As the First Years duck and dodge, Percy sighs in annoyance. "Gryffindors, I give up Peeves, Hogwarts resident poltergeist." Pop! A tiny translucent man with wicked eyes and wide mouth appears, clutching the last walking stick. He is Peeves.

"Oooh! Ickle Firsties! What fun!" With that, Peeves swoops off, wagging his tongue and bouncing a walking stick off Neville's head. Moving on, Percy continues to bring them to the Gryffindor Common Room. "Rather a nuisance, I'm afraid. Ah. Here we are."

At the very end of the corridor, hangs a portrait of a woman in a pink silk dress. She looks at Percy.

"Password?" The Pink Lady asks.

"Caput Draconis."

The portrait swings forward, revealing a round hole in the wall. The students all scramble through it, into the Gryffindor Common Room. The students enter a cosy, round room, filled with squashy armchairs. At the top of a spiral staircase, are two doors.

"Girls' dormitory to the left. Boys to the right. You'll find your belongings have already been brought up. Any questions?" it's silent. "Then, goodnight, all. Oh, and don't forget. Before retiring, please place all living potion ingredients in your cupboards. This includes slugs, fire beetles and cutworms. Sweet dreams..."

Boys Tower Dormitory – Later – Night

Moonlight falls through the tower windows as Ron, Neville and Seamus slumber. As we find Harry, he is sleeping too, but it is not restful. He twitches and turns... there is a flash of green... then he awakens with a start, sits up. Trembling. He glances about the room, then lies slowly back. Eyes open.

"Oh my poor boy." Sirius whispered; he knew the effect nightmares can have all too well.

***

The scene changes to the Slytherin students walking to the dungeons, the entrance of the Slytherin House was a green door with a huge silver and black snake guarding it.

"Salazar." The prefect said the password and the snake on the door moved revealing the entrance to common room.

The common room was a dungeon like room with rough stone walls and high ceiling with beautiful chandeliers hanging on chains. A fire was crackling under a carved mantelpiece ahead, It had lots of green button tufted and leather sofas with dark wood cupboards. The atmosphere was grand but also quite cold. In short, it can be said that it made you feel like a Royalty.

Everyone in the hall was in awe of the common room in which the Slytherins took great pride. They knew their common room was fit for the royalty that every Slytherin was.

"The chandeliers are so beautiful." Lily whispered but was heard by everyone in the Hall.

The sixth-year steps forward. "I am Charles Burke, sixth-year. Slytherin house maintains a court system. A King or Queen those rules over Slytherin. This position is highly respected even by alumni. Rules of court are that you always obey the King or Queen. Should you fail to comply, they will choose your punishment as they see fit. Each King or Queen appoints a court while they are in power, should they fall, a new court is appointed."