Chapter 6: Diagon Alley

Street – London – Dawn

The screen shows Harry and Hagrid walking down a London Street. Harry, reads aloud from his list as he trails Hagrid, who draws an eye or two – as a giant in Central London will. "First year students will require three sets of plain work robes, one plain pointed hat for day wear, one pair of dragon-hide gloves..." He reads.

Hagrid chuckles at a parking meter, ignoring Harry. "Things these Muggles dream up..."

Train – London – Dawn

The scene changes to show Hagrid and Harry sitting in a train. Harry sits beside Hagrid, continues to read from his list. "... and the following Set Books: The Standard Book of Spells by Miranda Goshawk. One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore..."

Street/Leaky Cauldron – London – Dawn

The screen shows Hagrid leading Harry, parting the crowd easily. "One wand, one standard size 2 pewter cauldron and may bring, if they desire, either an owl, a cat, or a toad." Harry pauses and looks up to Hagrid. "Can we find all this in London?"

Hagrid pauses by a narrow grey door with a sign say 'The Leaky Cauldron' that stands between a book shop on one side and a record shop on the other. "If yeh know where to go." Hagrid says, mysteriously.

Leaky Cauldron – Day

A dark, shabby pub. In a corner, some old women sit drinking, one smoking a pipe as long as her arm. Up front, a tiny an in a top hat talks to the bartender, who resembles a gummy walnut. Harry and Hagrid enter.

"Hagrid! The usual, I presume..." The bartender greets Hagrid before noticing Harry. "Good Lord. Is this? Can this be him? Bless my soul. It's Harry Potter." The pub goes quiet. Then... everyone is up and around Harry, holding out their hands and gabbling, while Hagrid looks on, beaming. Slowly, a nervous young man makes his way forward.

"Harry P-P-Potter. Can't tell you how p-pleased I am to meet you." The man stutters.

"Professor! Didn't see yeh there. Harry, this 'ere's Professor Quirrell. He'll be yer Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts." Hagrid introduces the man.

"F-F-Fearfully f-fascinating subject. N-Not that you n-need it, eh, P-P-Potter?"

"This pathetic man is the teacher for Defence against the Dark Arts!" Severus exclaimed. He had always wanted the job and to that Dumbledore had given his dream position to this stuttering person annoyed him to great lengths. Was he even working at Hogwarts>

"How is that Quirrell?" Remus asked confused by the reaction. "He just graduated a year behind us and he doesn't stutter."

"Apparently, the story was that he travelled and was attacked by vampires, scaring him." Ron shrugged.

"That's it?" Lucius asked. "That's the story as to why he's stuttering."

"That's all we knew. But then we found out the real reason." Ron said.

"What was the real reason?" James Sirius asked his uncle.

"You'll find out at the end of the movie."

Quirrell's eyes flutter nervously over Harry's scar.

"Yes, well, must get on. Lots ter buy. See? Tol' yeh you was famous." Hagrid whispers to harry as he pulls him along.

Back Courtyard/Leaky Cauldron – Moments Later – Day

The scene changes to show the back courtyard of the Leaky Cauldron. Hagrid taps the bricks of one wall with the tip of his umbrella while Harry stands by, deep in thought.