Chapter 10: The Duelling Club

A gloomy place. Cracked mirrors. Chipped sinks. That was the Girls' bathroom on the second floor. Guttering candles. Harry and Ron huddled over a small, bubbling cauldron, as Hermione added strange ingredients.

Barty laughed. "That looks so similar."

"That's what Myrtle's bathroom looked like before?" James Sirius gasped.

"Before?" Harry asked.

Scorpius turned to look at him. "Yeah, mum remodelled the bathroom so it's actually functional and people can visit Myrtle so she's not alone anymore."

"Again? You mean, the Chamber of Secrets has been opened before?" Hermione asked.

"Of course! Don't you see? Lucius Malfoy must've opened it when he was at school here, and now he's told Draco how to do it." Ron said.

"Wow. You guys really want it to be us." Lucius commented.

"You're Slytherins!" Hermione yelled.

"That's pathetic." Narcissa said. "Why didn't you track the bloodline of Salazar Slytherin to see who the heir was fifty years ago?"

"Maybe. We'll have to wait for the Polyjuice Potion to know for sure." Hermione said.

"Enlighten me. Why are we brewing this potion in broad daylight, in the middle of a girls' lavatory? Don't you think we'll get caught?" Ron asked.

"Not in that bathroom." Zoe said, making Narcissa laugh.

Hermione shook her head. "Never. No one over comes in here."

"Why?" Ron asked.

"Moaning Myrtle." Hermione said.

"Who's Moaning Myrtle?" Ron asked.

The Slytherin boys gasped sharply. "Shouldn't have said that." Draco said.

There was a loud, piecing screech and the ghost of a young girl came racing out of the wall and came face to face with Ron.

"I'm Moaning Myrtle. I wouldn't expect you to know me. Who would ever talk about fat, ugly, miserable, moping, moaning Myrtle?" Moaning Myrtle yelled. She sobbed loudly and dived head first into the toilet.

"She's a little sensitive." Hemione shrugged.

"Wow. Myrtle was different." Albus Severus said.

"What do you mean?" Harry asked.

"She's happy now."

***

A golden stage erected and Lockhart strutted atop it. Harry, Ron, Hermione and a good number of other students watched.

"Gather round! Gather round! Can everyone see me? Can you all hear me? Excellent. In light of the dark events of recent weeks, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little Dueling Club, to train you all up in case you ever need to defend yourselves as I myself have done on countless occasions - for full details, see my published works." Lockhart said.

"Merlin, all he talks about are those books." James Sirius groaned.

The boy next to Harry, Justin Finch-Fletchley, turned to him.

"That Lockhart's something, isn't he? Awfully brave chap." He offered his hand. "Justin Finch-Fletchley. Hufflepuff."

"Nice to meet you. I'm..." Harry wanted to introduce him but Justin cut him off.

"I know who you are. We all do. Even us Muggle-borns." Justin grinned agreeably and looked back to the stage, where Professor Snape had joined Lockhart.