|-9-|

~December Spirits~

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

December 23
School
11am

This week was finals week and today was the last day. Manvi and I spent multiple days studying for the exam and I actually have a headache coming out of that psychology class. In a few minutes we are off on Winter Break.

"That test literally kicked my ass", Manvi tells me as we walk towards the cafeteria.

I head into the cafeteria to our table. Our table consists of Aarshiya, Manvi, Karan, and the twins Hiral and Himanshu.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Hi Teju", Himanshu gets up and gives me a warm hug.

The twins are a sight with melanin and black shiny hair with brown eyes, and the warmest hearts.

I sit down and my eyes automatically look towards a quiet Karan head down, fiddling with his food. I didn't feel like causing a scene so I shoot him a text instead.

Tejasswi: hey you ok?
Karan reaches for his phone the moment it alerts him and shows no facial expression.
Karan: yeah.
...
Tejasswi: how was your last exam?
....
Karan: fine.

Okay what the heck is up with him?

Tejasswi: come on we are finally on winter break and we get a breather lighten up a bit :)
Karan: other people take a breather, Tejasswi we don't.

That gets an expression. He excuses himself saying he isn't hungry and leaves. I try to follow after him but after all, I have other friends on the table.

"Hey, uhm I was actually thinking that you me and Val could hang at your house? Watch Home Alone and bake some Christmas cookies?", Aarshiya asks.

I haven't been able to talk to my girls recently.

"I would love that, but Drishti and I are going to be making some dishes for Christmas Eve and she likes it just us. If I get free earlier I can invite you guys."

That was not a lie at least.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Karan", I briskly walk towards him in the parking lot as he stops in his tracks and turns to me.

"Hey, what happened over there?"

"Nothing, I just felt like going" he responds curtly but eyes intense on me.

"What do you mean we don't get a breather? Is this about.."

I'm not allowed to say "mission" or any other similar terms in public.

"Yes Tejasswi, always is. We are almost three months into this and we still haven't had a lead? I don't want to spend my Christmas worrying about some douchebag from our school."

If anyone was listening they would think I'm in a freakin love triangle.

I take a deep breath and walk up to him in a safe distance.

"You just finished a bunch of crap high school exams and can finally breathe. And you want to stress yourself out? Karan, I am also worried alright but you need to loosen-"