NINE

Constance

The only way to describe today, was...well, Thursday was a big blur for me. After my last class of the day, which had been around 3, I was headed back home to catch up on some homework and maybe chill before I'd have to go to the library with Angelle.

The monotony of my day ended the very moment I heard my name being called:

"Constance!"

My head flipped around, because 1) nobody close with me calls me that, and 2) ion really fraternize with the motherfucker's around here. I go to class, and I go home, unless I'm chillin' at a party. And that's different.

"Who are you?" I asked tightly, seeing some girl approaching me.

"Yuun remember me?" she cocked her head to the side, her fresh braids falling one over the other with the motion. They were braided back in a little criss cross pattern giving way to ombre, small braids along her back, reaching all the way to her knees. Her skin was the same color as mine and her brown eyes were lit up with excitement, although I still sensed something...off about her.

Her hands were stuffed into the pockets of her deep purple hoodie and she had on black leggings and purple and black Jordan's.

"Arnae. From volleyball," she reminded me.

My eyes widened momentarily, remembering the skinny girl with a head full of hair that she used to be back in high school. It's not like she wasn't the same now, as I looked more closely at her- her features had just matured. "My fault, ian recognize you. Ian know you went to WHU, Arnae," I commented, sliding my foot along the ground boredly as I stood by my car.

"Yeah," she shrugged, "I transferred from across town. It was my first choice back when I wanted to come here for volleyball. Do you play...still?" she asked, a bit of curiosity in her voice.

"Nahh," I chuckled, "Couldn't get that scholarship. I'm here for architecture though," I said after a deep exhale of wishfulness.

"That's a shame. You was real good back in high school," she smiled politely. "Maybe we could get around to playin' some time." I studied her a bit. I kind of wanted to mention Coach asking me to come to her volleyball clinic this Saturday, but I still didn't know what I thought of Arnae now.

"We used to be good friends. It's a shame we stopped talking after we graduated," I commented.

"Yeah," she shrugged, "I guess I just got caught up with moving out and being on my own. Ion even talk half of the people I used to fuck wit no mo," she admitted.

"Same. I'm kind of a homebody now. Except for work and school," I stated.

"Oh, work? Where you work at?" she asked curiously.

"Nearby," I answered nonchalantly. "I gotta go actually. I got some stuff to do before I head there," I added, seeing disappointment flash across her face briefly.

"We should exchange numbers or sumin. IG's," she suggested.

"I'm not too active on social media anymore. Not as much as I used to be," I stated bluntly, starting to get into my car. She followed me around to my side, biting her lip. "What about just your number then?"

I rose an eyebrow, looking up at her as I settled into the driver's seat. "I guess," I shrugged.

She couldn't get the memo?

"Here," she slid her phone out of a little side pocket in her leggings.

I typed my number in and put "Con".

"That's what people call you nowadays?" she cracked a smile.

"Yeah," I shrugged. "People always called me that."

"Not on the team," she frowned. "I'd remember that."

"Oh," I shrugged, closing my car door.

She tapped on my window lightly and I fought the urge to drive off. Slowly, I let the glass down, staring up at Arnae expectantly. "Yea?" I asked, a little bit of annoyance slipping into my voice as I put on my seat belt.

"I live around...maybe you could come over some time?" she suggested tentatively, playing with the end of one of her braids.

"Arnae...ion know how to break this to you: It's been awhile since we've been around each other and we were friends back in high school. Correct me if I'm getting the wrong picture, but ian tryna lay up with you, if that's what you tryna get at," I stated, hands on the wheel as I stared at her.

"We could get to know each other again," she shrugged.

"Arnae...was it a coincidence you saw me just now?" I cocked my head towards behind us, where we had been standing at.

She didn't answer me, looking away.

"Stay away from me...please," I told her, shifting gears and pulling out of my spot. "And you can delete my number," I called out, rolling down the passenger window to say that as I drove pass her in the lot.

"Weirdo," I mumbled, rolling the window back up.

Comment