TWENTY EIGHT

Vivianne

It was the end of the game, and the other team had won because of one last serve. Still, we were all excited about how close we had came to a win and how fast paced the game had been. It definitely was a step up from middle school volleyball for sure.

After we all got done 'good gaming' the other team, we headed for the concession stand where I spotted Con walking towards us with a silly grin of her own on her face and her bag on her shoulders.

"Hey, Con," I gave her a side hug, just going for it like that.

"Hey. Y'all were great out there. I know y'all didn't win, but snacks on me," she smiled widely.

The team shared their excitement, overhearing her.

"You're happy," I nudged her.

"Hell yea," she smiled even more, her dimples showing.

"You girls were fantastic! I remember when I used to get under those balls like that," a random woman was telling one of my team members.

"After snacks, go to the locker room and make sure you guys have all of your things, whether you decide to change or not. We got random people in our school. You know people like to steal," she stated. I nodded, planning on getting my bag before my dad would be here to pick me up.

After everyone had something to munch on, Con and I walked together to the locker room. "You think we'll win next game?" I asked. I looked up and caught her staring at me, and I saw for sure that she had blushed. Could Constance...like me?

I went to the row my stuff was on after Coach Wang unlocked the locker room. The other girl who had had stuff down here had already left so now it was just us on the aisle. Constance awkwardly stood there, and I could sense that she was about to leave.

"I don't know if I'm makin' the right decision but-

I stepped forward and stood up on my toes a little to kiss her. She instantly, grabbed my head, deepening the kiss and pulling me towards her. Our hearts both beat quickly, our chests touching.

"I know I'm not supposeddd to be back here. But has anyone seen Constanceee...Oh!"

I pulled back from her, turning to see Angelle at the end of the locker row. Constance only said "huhh", looking at the girl, like she was studying her or something.

Angelle crossed her arms, wobbling on her feet.

"So this is why you like volleyball sooo much, Con?"

Constance seemed to break out of her trance and only laughed, sliding her hoodie over her head and walking past Angelle. I was suddenly scared, backing up as the girl walked towards me.

Each aisle of lockers was a dead in.

My back slammed against the wall as Angelle got in my face. "You'll never be me. She'll never want youuu," I could smell she had been drinking. Her breath even had the faintest fruity-metallic scent of a vape pen on it.

How could Constance just leave me like this?

I was hurt and pissed all at the same time and riding on the high of my kiss with Con. I shoved Angelle back, "You got one thing comin' for you if you think you gonna get all up in my face and I ain't gon do shit, bitch."

"Vee, what's-

Kynlee's eyes widened as she saw Angelle shove me back. We started wrestling, holding each other by the shoulders as we tried to push each other down. I switched tactics and let go, letting Angelle drunkly stumble back. Kynlee jumped in and pulled Angelle away from me. I grabbed my bag and just as I was walking towards the end of the aisle to escape, I turned around and slammed my bag at Angelle's head, my zipper pulling some of her light blue wig back in the process.

Kynlee started laughing, dropping the girl and jogging off with me out of the locker room. Man, I gotta love Kyn for that.

Constance was outside of the locker room pacing, talking on the phone with someone about a ride not showing up.

Her eyes landed on me and widened.

"Vee, you have a bleeding cut on your face. How the hell did that happen?"

Remembering how she just walked out on me, I kept moving past her towards the exit doors at the end of the athletic hall.

"Vee!" Con called out. "Vee!"

"Maybe she'd fuckin' know if she had stayed," I mumbled under my breath, Kyn rubbing my sore shoulders affectionately.

"What a fuckin' day," she said as we stepped outside.

Comment