THIRTY SEVEN

Constance

"Take over checkin' out while I go put the books in order," I told Angelle.

"Mm."

Fucking-

"I'm gonna tell the manager you not listenin' to me Angelle. Damn. Don't let yo personal life affect your work," I hissed. "That's mad immature."

"I'm not your sub anymore, Con. You expect me to listen to your every demand, and life isn't that way anymore. I'll just tell him you asked me rudely," she said, stacking a pile together in order.

Fucking-

"Can you please...handle checkin' out the books while I go put that stack back?" I asked in my sweetest tone, making sure my voice was loud enough.

"Fine," she snapped, coming to where I was standing by the computer. "Just so you know, me and David are switching shifts. He can deal with you now. I can't stand being around you anymore."

"How's Arnae doin'?" I ignored what she said, grabbing the stack.

"She's mindin' her business," Angelle said with a smug smile.

"Have the results came in yet?" I asked impatiently.

"I wouldn't know," she shrugged innocently.

"Can't stand her," I mumbled, walking away.

I went to the aisle where these books belonged, all science fiction. I felt myself ease into comfort being away from Angelle and being surrounded by this many books. I was so focused on shelving them and using my little device thingy that someone walked up on me.

"Hey."

Figuring it was Vee somehow able to show up, I turned around.

"Oh...you," I said, sighing.

"I don't know if you remember me from the party, but I'm Izzy." The girl had on a grey jacket and some sweats, mismatch house shoes on and her hair in a pink zebra bonnet.

"I remember you. You and your boyfriend were givin' me and Vee a hard time," I stated, going back to what I was doing. "How'd you know I worked here?"

"Everybody at school does now," she shrugged.

Guess the word spread fast.

"And why is my place of work...so intriguing?" I rose an eyebrow. "It's not like I haven't seen high schoolers in here before."

"You seriously don't know why?" she scoffed.

"No," I said, finishing with the stack of books. "But whatever you need to say to me needs to be quick because I'm still at work."

"Didn't know that people took their jobs seriously," she commented, giving me a look I didn't like. "It's cause you're so fineee. All the girls wanna come and check you out."

"I'm not lookin' for a girlfriend...or anything that you're tryna offer, Izzy. I suggest you leave."

"Vee's been...goin' around sayin' that you two are sneakin' around with one another," Izzy said slowly. "And I heard that you help out with the volleyball team. That wouldn't be a good look for you...right?"

My eyes narrowed. "What me and Vivianne do is between me and her, but I promise you that it's nothing wrong."

"You're...how old again?"

"Old enough to see her in Texas," I laughed, "I don't know what you tryna play at, but I know Vee wouldn't go around sayin' shit like that."

Izzy dug out her phone and produced screenshots.

I tried to find any error in them but...they looked so real. If they were fake, Izzy would have had to pay top dollar for them and I honestly don't think that she cared that much.

"So what? Me and Vee haven't had sex or anything."

"It's just a bad look for the two of you," she shrugged, "and since I'm the only one with these messages that she sent me..."

"You want us to stop talkin' to each other or you'll reveal them," I finished softly, staring at the girl.

The texts had been angry. Izzy provoking her and Vee saying things we had and hadn't done.

But...to protect her reputation and her already shaky spot on the team, I'd do anything. And, I'm supposed to be a role model to these girls anyways.

"I'll stop-

"And you cannot tell her," she added.

"Why not? Us leavin' each other alone ain't enough for you? Why you want her to be viewed like a hoe like you so bad?"

"Listen," Izzy took a step towards me, chuckling. She shook her head, walking away with her evidence.

I looked around, making sure no one else had heard our conversation then headed back to the counter.

You've got to be kidding me.

Comment