TWENTY SIX

Vivianne

After practice, I text my dad that it was over, along with Coach Wang. It was embarrassing being on a short leash and everyone knowing about it. It made me feel like I did something wrong.

And maybe years from now I'll see that I was blind and that their was actually some error in how I feel...but that time isn't here yet.

I miss freedom.

And I'm also gonna miss my parents, come Monday.

I know it.

"Hey, wassup?" Kynlee asked, sitting next to me outside as I waited for my dad to respond.

"Nothin'," I shrugged.

"Vee..."

"I'm moving in with some relatives by Monday," I revealed. "I'm telling Aiana tomorrow, I guess. I don't know why, but I feel like it'll be the end of the world," I said bitterly.

"Have you met them before...are they nice?" Kynlee played with one of her braids, slipping apart from their loose hold.

"I don't think I have, and if so, I was real young. And I haven't necessarily heard welcoming news about them. I just gotta make it past these few months then I don't have to worry about my family at all."

"You know me and Aiana are here for you if you need us," Kyn said gently.

"It's not like that," I frowned.

Kyn's eyes drifted down to my volleyball shorts, as if she could somehow see through the fabric what I had done last night. "Just sayin'. We're here."

Kynlee stood up, dusting her ass off from the pavement. "My ride's here. Your dad comin'?"

"Yeah, he should be. Just hasn't text back yet. Been noticin' it's been taking him forever to respond nowadays. Like I'm less important to him or something," I scoffed.

"If you were less important then I don't think your parents would be makin' such a big fuss over you, Vee," she stated, inching towards her vehicle.

"Nahh. I just think they're tryna get rid of me."

"Dang...well, bye Vee! Hope you feel better," she waved, getting into her vehicle.

"Me too," I sighed.

My phone buzzed and it was my dad telling me he'd be an hour late, no explanation listed. I mean, don'f get me wrong, he runs the house. Neither of my parents owe me an explanation...but what happened to them doing that? All I could imagine was that something terribly wrong had occurred or he was just gonna take an hour long nap then decide to scoop me up.

"Hey, Vee. You still here."

I looked up, and there was Constance walking out the side door behind me.

"Yeah. My dad's gonna be an hour late."

Con frowned. "I can't stay and wait because I have to get home and pic-

She seemed to be in thought for a moment.

"I can drop you off. I have some extra time today befofe I head to work. Alone."

Alone? Didn't she usually go there alone? Oh, right. Her girlfriend. Who really isn't her girlfriend, according to what Constance said after practice yesterday. Hmm, I wonder what happened between the two of them.

"Thanks. I'll tell him," I said, standing up and following her to her vehicle. My wyes widened seeing it. "Your car's pretty cool."

"It's old but it's a nice little Corvette."