FORTY TWO

Vivianne

"It's beautiful. I'm glad we went along with your idea instead of mine," I said softly, staring out at the water besides Constance.

"A movie woulda been fine too," her lips curved a little, "but I like this better too."

"Wish we could have gotten a boat on the river but that's a bit expensive for me right now," she blushed.

"It's fine. The view is good enough, and its free," I nudged her. She wrapped her arm around me, kissing my forehead.

The water trailed through the buildings so beautifully and peacefully. Couples and everyday people walked around as others rode on boats through the city. It was so nice and peaceful here. Con had said this place reminded her of my beauty.

It felt like some shit outta a movie.

"What's going back to Houston gonna be like for us?" I looked up at her. "I still won't be able to see you unless I ask to go to the library. And...volleyball season is officially over."

"Tryin' out for any other sports?" Constance cracked a smile. "You know about any other?" I asked, looking her up and down.

"Soccer."

"Which I don't even think would be playin' right now," she added after a long moment. "We can make it work."

"Volleyball lessons to prepare me to try out for whatever college I choose," I thought, tapping my chin. "I could spin up a good enough lie that my parents or my relatives could believe."

"Or, we could just tell them," she suggested softly.

"No. They...it would make things really hard for me living there if you did that. I think Aunt Welma and Uncle Bob have almost forgotten that I like girls, but poppin' up with a girlfriend would be a quick reminder that the praying before dinner, after dinner, during dinner, before bed, when I take a shit, isn't enough."

Constance couldn't hold in her laugh. "Didn't know it was that rough. Parents- I mean, my parent was the same way with me for awhile before she just came to accept it. That was sometime around seventh grade for me, though."

"Yeah, I just don't have the luxury of coming out before I leave high school. I hope that doesn't affect my relationship...or whatever, with you. Because that's out of my control, and if I could have things my way, everybody'd know I care about you."

"It won't, Vee," she squeezed my hand a little.

Glancing up at the sky, she said, "It's starting to get a little late. We've been out here all day. Time to head back to the hotel?"

"Yeah, I got some packin' up to do for the bus comin' today."

"Can't believe we're already leavin'," she commented.

"That's okay, because now I definitely have to come back."

"Maybe I could take you here before your first semester next year," she offered as we started walking back the way we came. "I think I'll have to take you up on that offer, Ms. Constance," I giggled.

Back at the hotel, everybody was in a frenzy to shower and re-pack for our bus back to Houston. I was almost done when someone knocked on our door. I didn't know who to assume it was, put I looked through the little peephole and saw Kynlee.

"Hey," she said shyly, looking around the room casually as she came in. Constance was by her bed trying to stuff some things in. The bus came in an hour.