TWENTY FOUR

Vivianne

The next morning, I woke up in my bed and my leg was sore, as expected. I slapped a bandaid on my little cut even though it wasn't bleeding anymore, not bothering to put any medicine on it. I just didn't wanna feel it rubbing against my pants. I showered, threw on some jeans and a basic fit, and prepared myself for whatever argument my parents wanted to brew next.

My mother was in the kitchen making breakfast and my dad was struggling to bend down and tie his shoes by the front door.

"Your father's taking you today. He'a grabbing the two of you breakfast on the way," my mother told me, her voice not happy nor angry. I think this neutrality scared me more than her just saying whatever was on her mind, but I grabbed my backpack and stood by until my dad had both shoes tied.

Outside, the day felt too calm, the weather too perfect, but I needed to jump over this hurdle first. Figure out why they were being so calm with me all of a sudden after all these days of hell. Then I could think about how I'd confront Izzy today about sending those pictures to my crib.

"McDonald's or Jack in a Box?" he asked me, getting in and starting up the Subaru. I still remembered him first getting it. Complaining that he wanted a more manly vehicle and that he only had one kid so why have an SUV? Maybe they were planning then to replace me. That's the only thing I could see this new sibling as: a replacement.

"McDonald's," I shrugged, heading for the seat behind him.

"I haven't taken the child lock off of that side yet. Go ahead and get into the passenger's seat," he told me, his voice as level as my mother's. They had to have known I could hear them fucking last night too. It made my leg hurt more. It made my eyes squeeze shut tighter. It made my heart ache more. It'd be just my luck if I ended up with two siblings at this rate- one adopted and one not.

"Okay," I exhaled, still trying to make sense of the way they both had been acting as I got in.

Maybe the sex had calmed both of them down?

I frowned, hoping that this didn't mean more shit for me in the long run.

"I'm sure you're wonderin' why your mother and I are so different this morning. Maybe happy...even."

I gulped, tensely holding my bag on my lap as I waited for him to continue. "One of your auntie's and uncle from your mother's side decided to take you in. But they run a tight household." A pleased smile creeped onto my father's face. "More of the way I grew up. They'll have you straightened out by 18."

"Do they...know?" I asked cautiously.

"Oh, yes. They do. They'll be helping with that too, according to them." Seeing me about to protest, he held up a hand. "We might accept you, but it is out of our control who else may not. You live in their house, you'll abide by their rules. After your game on Saturday, I'll be picking you up so that you can be all packed up for Sunday morning. I want you settled in and asleep for Monday after you guys go to church. School is all you need to be focusing on these next couple of months."

Church? Packing up? Settling in?

"Okay," I said, sitting back in my seat, not knowing how to feel. This is what I wanted right? I said I'd rather live with anybody else but them...and now I had that wish.

"Are you guys...gonna still come to my graduation?"

My father's expression became blank.

"Maybe..."

He dropped me off at the front of the school, taking off just as I closed the SUV door behind me. I felt glum and more sour than I had when I first woke up. I was on a hunt for Izzy now. She had ruined everything I had planned for myself. The whole construct I had for my fragile mind and way of living. All probably because of some late night pettiness she was probably feeling when decided to send those photos.

I'd be going to church alright on Sunday, because I'm about to take this bitch to Hell.

"Whoa, whoa. You look like you wanna kill somebody, Herida," Kyn said, holding me back as my eyes fixed on Izzy by her locker. Aiana was standing besides Kynlee, light blush adding an extra happiness to her face that was slowly draining as she took me in with a concerned expression.

"What's goin' on, Vee?"

"I don't wanna talk right now. I needa talk to Izzy," I stated, shoving Kynlee off of me.

"Is it about the trouble you're in? Your parents?" Kyn prodded.

"Stop," Aiana said softly, laying a hand on her shoulder. "Whatever it is- Vee's about to handle it."

I crossed the hall and yanked Izzy away from whatever boy she was all leaned up against. "We needa talk."

"I already told you I'm no good for you, Vee. You're just...better than me, okay? I already know how my life's gonna turn-

"Nahhh. Ion wanna talk about gettin' back wit yo triflin' ass," I snapped. "Those pictures," I hissed, "Why would you send those to my house?"

Izzy gasped. "I didn't wanna hold on to them anymore. I was throwing away...us. It felt wrong to keep them, so I dropped them off one day," she shrugged.

"My fucking mom opened them," I growled.

"Is it a problem...with shawty, Iz?" the boy asked, coming over to us and looking down at me, with his tall ass. He towered over me and her, fuzzy locs, tattoos along his arms, tight white shirt, sagging jeans, clean shoes, silver grill, brown skin.

Apparently my ex's type now.

"I'm cool. Chill Tyone," she mumbled.

"Ain't this the bitch you used to date? Ion do none of that goin' back to people's ex's shit, Iz."

"Her name's not Iz. It's Izzy," I glared up at him, "And I know her better than you ever will. So back the fuck up so that me and her can talk."

"Ight. Chill, shawty," he glared at me, walking away.

"You lucky he ain't beat yo ass. He'd do that if you was a nigga, Vee. Be cool," she warned.

"So you like that now?" I gestured towards him.

"Vee...chill," she sighed, crossing her arms across her big chest, looking back at him as he watched us. "I didn't think your parents would see it. I didn't even realize anybody was home...I just wanted to give you your stuff back. My parents don't check my packages and mail. I didn't think your's would. It just ain't cross my mind that they would cause that wasn't how I was raised. How you think I had that whole collection of vibrators and dildos and shit?"

"Guess you won't be needin' none of that now," I rolled my eyes.

"Oh, please. You're fuckin' childish, Vee. I'm sorry that your parents saw the photos but...it isn't my fault. Now please...leave me alone," she begged. "For your safety, and...mine."

I searched her face, the way her lip trembled, the way she kept glancing back at this Tyone nigga.

"Whatever you wanna do wit yo life. Do it, Izzy," I said finally, walking away.

Going to my friends. The ones I needed the most.

Aiana and Kynlee embraced in the hall as I cried.

Man, if only they knew how bullshit and confusing my life had been these last few days!

"After school, before me and Kynlee go to practice, can we all talk?" I asked quietly.

"Does it have to do with how everything seems to be going to shit for you?" Aiana asked, patting my back.

"Yeah. Exactly that," I laughed, wiping my tears away.

Comment