FORTY ONE

Constance

"Can I sleep in your bed tonight?"

That came out of nowhere.

Vee stood in the doorway of our bathroom, her towel the only thing covering her as she peeked her head out to look at me. I couldn't tell if her face was flushed because of her steamy shower or the question she had just asked me, but she looked so innocent in that moment. So untouchable. I felt like if my hands ever laid on her I'd corrupt her or something.

But some part of me wanted to do just that.

Taint her with every kiss and bite and caress.

Would that be fair to her? To everyone who I had ever been with before? Because I know that moment would be something neither of us had ever experienced. Something my ex's would envy.

It'd be like honey and snow- smooth and exhilarating.

Slow and beautiful. 

"You should already know the answer to that, Vivianne," I told her seriously. I laid in my bed, warm and snug under the blankets as I played on the game.

"Sorry," she whispered, tucking her head down a little as she stared at her feet.

I bounced my eyes up from her toes.

"Stop apologizing," I said sharply. "You didn't do anything wrong," I added softly.

I need to hold back. I don't wanna be another problem in Vee's life. She doesn't deserve that.

She came out of the bathroom a moment later, dressed in what she was sleeping in. She came over to my bed, carefully getting under the sheets.

"Wang has a key to all our rooms...what if she came i-

She touched my lips, stopping me from speaking as she faced me, laying on her right side. "She won't."

"But what if?" I asked quietly, staring into her light brown eyes.

"Then we'd deal with what we had done."

"We're not doing anything," I said quickly, before the fantasies could even start to come into my mind, or hers. "We're just laying here together. As two people who like each other would. In a bed."

"In a bed. When we both want to do somethinggg," she added, laying her hand on my chest.

"But we can't," I exhaled as she brought her hand away from me with a frown. I had been holding my breath?

"Why not?"

"Because love hurts," I told her tenderly, grabbing her wrist and pulling her closer to me. "And I'm starting to feel it, Vee." I was horny from just touching her and pulling her like this against me.

She searched my eyes. "Me too..."

I blinked, remembering she couldn't read my mind. I swear if she could, what she had just said would still be her answer.

She fell asleep in my arms that night, the rest of the evening running course as I had needed it to. We didn't end up doing anything with one another and her soft breathing on my neck didn't make me give in to what I wanted to do to her.

We both woke up at the same time, the sun peeping through the drawn curtains like an eavesdropper. I carefully sat up, Vee gently moving off my chest with a yawn. I stretched, blinking slowly as I adjusted to being awake.

"What time is it?" I asked, clearing my throat.

"Early," Vee grunted, checking her phone.

"I'm going to the bathroom. Check the group chat and see if anybody else is downstairs getting breakfast."