ELEVEN

Constance

"Sweetheart, your back is straight up. You have to benddd it a little to get underneath the ball," I stressed.

"See, like this," Vee demonstrated.

I gave her a thankful smile. She was really a big help with the other girls in her group, the only thing she struggled with was widening her stance. Compared to the so-called captain they had, I couldn't understand why Wang didn't see Vivianne was better.

"Thanks," the other girl smiled.

"Alright. We're gonna try what we did earlier again. I think you guys are ready. I'm gonna go and check on Wang across the court. Girl's sitting down," I called out to the wall, "I want you guys to watch the girl's go through the line and send them to form another if they still can't go through twice perfectly."

I jogged across the court to Coach Wang, all these years later remembering her jogging rule. It looked like the girl's in her group weren't doing too good and she was red in the face shouting at them.

"How's things going?" I asked anyways.

"These girls can't serve," she sighed, holding her hand to her head. "I don't know what to do with them Constance. Honest to God. It's like my directions go in one ear...and out the other," she shot a glare at the girls. They all looked tired and fed up.

"Once I'm done running this drill with my girls, we can switch. I think I know something that could help them," I nodded.

"Please," Wang sighed.

I cocked my head off to the side. "Can we talk?"

"What's up?" she shoved her hands into her plain windbreaker, the same colors of the high school.

"Remember Arnae from my year?"

"Yeah," Coach nodded. "Skinny girl. A lot of power behind her serves. I thought she was committed."

"Nahh. I saw her up at WHU the other day," I said casually. "I don't know if you're still in contact with her- just a suggestion: Wouldn't bring her around here. She's different than she used to be."

Coach nodded, a concerned look on her face.

"Something's weird with the vibe," I waved my hand around. "Our interaction been on my mind for the past few days. But anyways- when's y'all's next game?" I switched topics.

"Next weekend. I just don't think they're ready, Clark. I think they're gonna get out on that court and embarrass me," she pointed down at the floor. "Our team used to be something not just revered in our district but across the state. I had scouts lined up outside of games, tongues panting, trying to sign my girls. This is the," she lowered her voice to a whisper, "worst team I've had in years! And you know how long I've coached at KCSHS!"

My eyes drifted towards my group across the court.

Everyone was seated against the wall, knee pads to their ankles as they took swigs out of their colorful hydro flasks or marked water bottles.

"I think I can shape them up for this game, Coach. And if not for this one...then definitely for the next," I stated, determined.