Chapter Twenty

Shawn's POV

***Previously***

"NOOO!!" I screamed. Upon finally noticing my presence, the witch snapped her hazel eyes in my direction and I couldn't help but notice that her face was also tear streaked.

"I'm sorry." She whispered and if not for my enhanced hearing I wouldn't have heard it.

She turned back towards my son and raised her palm in the air, a green mist coming out of her palms and slowly reaching down to him.

"Don't do this, please! I beg you in the name of Selene, please!!" I screamed, banging my fists on the purple force field even harder, but it was no use.

I couldn't do anything except to watch the witch make the final blow which could possibly end my son's life...

And there was nothing I could do.

***Now***

Tears ran down my face as I stood there helpless, bringing back the memory of when my mate died... How I couldn't save her.

I'm useless

What kind of a man am I? Am I even a man if I can't even protect my family from danger? I felt anger and self loathing bubble deep within me.

I'm a failure

I squeeze my eyes shut, unable to watch the deadly mist get closer and closer to him, inches away from taking his life... Just like how my hope is inches away from breaking.

Why?!

Why does every person I love get torn away from me? Why! First, it was my parents, then my mate, and now... Now my son?

No! I won't accept it!

I can't let him die. I can't let another person I love be ripped out of my life. Not again.

I snap my eyes open, the rage burning through my veins like hot lava. With a new found determination, I get up as quickly as I can and put a lot of distance between myself and the force field.

I know that there is a zero percent chance of me breaking through a shield made of magic, even with my Gamma strength, but I can't just give up like this.

Slade gives me all his speed and strength, knowing that I'm going to need it.

It feels like everything is going is slow motion. I shift into my giant wolf form and look ahead of me. The mist is much closer to him than before, letting me know that I am running out of time.

And then, I run.

I push myself to the limit, running faster than I've ever ran before. Hopefully, if I have enough speed by the time I hit the barrier, I can create enough force to – at least– crack the surface of it. If it does crack, I can use my claws to open it more so that I can weave through it in human form.

The closer I get to the purple barrier, the closer the mist gets to my boy.

I feel the adrenaline rush through my body, pushing me to go even faster then before. The force field draws nearer and nearer and I'm just about to crash into it when...

.
.
.
.
.

It fucking dissolves into the air!

I realized too late that the purple barrier is no longer in front of me. Due to the record breaking speed I was moving at, I was unable to stop myself in time. I tried to use my claws to scratch the ground so that I would be able to stop, but that only caused me to lose my balance and trip.