chapter nine. brain aches

The group of teens all walk into the institute, all of them a little pissed off at each other.

"I still don't understand. How can shadowhunters be beter then what you people call mundanes?" Clary asks the group.

"Because we protect them. We are stronger, faster and Jace can wear leather pants and doesn't even sweat." Alec explains looking at the redhead as Hope chuckles in the back before she remembers Simon is gone.

"If you protect them why is Simon gone?" Clary asks looking at Jace who holds his hands up in surrender. "It was an accident, Clary." Izzy speaks up.

"Alec wouldn't have made that mistake. God, why didn't I send him with Alec?" Hope glares at Jace, suddenly becoming serious again.

"Because I don't like him but you do make a fair point." Alec nods.

"Oh shut up," Jace rolls his eyes at the two.

"And they won't do anything to him. They'll just wanna draw us out. They want the cup they think you have." he explains, looking at Clary.

"Why does everyone think that? My mom lies to me my entire life but 'oh there's a magic cup that I hid on planet Bongo, don't tell anyone'." Clary says looking at the group.

"What am I supposed to do now?" Clary asks, hopeless.

"We have to report to the clave." Alec says but Hope grabs his arm. "Just wait a minute before you tell on us. Plus, the clave sounds pretty scary." she says looking at the older boy.

"They have to know what we learned about Valentine." Alec says before walking away as everyone follows him.

"What? That he's my father? Great. Fine. Tell them but what good does that do Simon?" Clary asks. "Its all connected. The vamps want the cup." Jace explains.

"Okay broken record," Hope shoves him a little. "Yeah, we heard you the first time but you haven't told me what I want to know yet. Why do the vamps want the cup? It makes new shadowhunters." Clary adds.

"They're afraid Valentine will get his hands on it and kill them all." Hope explains as the group turns to her in shock.

"What? I know shit. Sometimes thinking just gives me brain aches so I don't do it often."

"We can tell," Alec retorts.

"Okay, how many times do I have to tell you two to shut up?" Jace asks as the two scoff at him before remaining quiet.

"They'll propose a trade. Simon for the cup." He adds.

"We don't have the cup and we don't want them to have it. Let's just alert the clave about it and they can get Shawn." Alec suggests.

"His name is Simon." Hope says looking at Alec who stares blankly at her, waiting for her to realise that he really doesn't give a fuck.

"Listen I trust you, guys. And I want you to trust me. I can't just turn into one of you over night. We just want our lives back." Clary says fidgeting with the bracelet.

"She's right. She was raised as a mundane." Izzy explains. "What are you? Her spokesman?" Alec asks looking at the second oldest Lightwood sibling.

"I dont need a spokesman. I need a plan and fast." Clary says walking away as everyone follows. "Look at all this stuff. Can any of this help me find Simon?" Clary asks looking at the computers.

"Where is he anyway? In some kind of crypt in Transylvania?" Clary asks looking at the group. "No, they're at the hotel Du'mort." Izzy explains.

"Then why aren't we at the hotel Du'mort right now?" Hope asks confused.

"We can't just declare war on the vamps." Alec explains. After a boring conversation about fairies Clary walks out of the room. Hope wants to follow her but waits a minute.

"You're gonna get your self killed." Jace says looking at Clary. "And Simon." Alec adds as Clary turns around rolling her eyes.

"She won't if I go with her." Hope steps forward but Alec pushes her back, his hand touching her chest as she slaps it away.

"Stop trying to cop a feel, Alec," she rolls her eyes at him. How does he always end up getting all the action?

"Alec stop being a player and help us. While you fondle Hope like a creep, my best friend is suffering." Clary says walking back up to the group.

"I was not fondling her," Alex defends but everyone remains silent.

"I was not fondling her," Clary mocks in a high pitched voice.

"That's not what I sound like," Alec's voice suddenly goes down three octaves which only gets a smirk from Clary.

"Okay but the vamps did first move so we can attack." Hope says looking at the group.

"We have to take care of this ourselves." Jace adds.

"This is a bad idea" Alec adds.

"What, you have a better one?" Jace asks.

"The vamps broke the accords and it like our job to help them right by kicking their asses." Izzy explains. "First of all I hate everything you just said and secondly how are we gonna get weapons out of here without a reason?" Alec asks looking at the group.

"I know where to get what you need." Jace says.

"Or we can just say y'all are going hunting and get all the weapons here." Hope speaks up Jace shushes her.

"But this is more fun so get ready and we'll leave," he walks away as the group follows him but Hope stays behind.

"There are weapons are everywhere. We can just take the weapons. This isn't a prison," she talks to herself as a few people walk past her, sending concerning glances.