chapter twenty one. the common cold

Hope welcomes Maureen in with a smile and a crosiant. "What's so urgent?" Hope breaks off a piece of her own pastry as she links in her arms with Maureen's and the two start walking. She bit off another piece, the texture hurt her gums but she kept eating.

"Three things." Maureen holds up three fingers, "First of all, we have a world history paper due Friday." Hope curses under her breath. "Two, IhadsexwithSimon and three, I might have the common cold."

"What?"

"Yeah, my throat is all scratchy and shit."

"Not the common cold." Hope stops, grabs Maureen's arm too harshly. "The paper? I'll send you my notes." Hope furrows her brows.

"You rubbed uglies with Si? Be so fucking for real."

"I can feel you judge me." Maureen laughs.

"Well, if I sexed with Simon, you would judge me."

"Sexed? You talk like a virgin." Maureen cringes. "I'd rather be a virgin than sex with Si. How long did it last? How big was it?" Hope didn't want to know but she had to ask.

"Longer than with most guys." Hope nods. "And Simon isn't short for no reason, something weighs him down." Maureen covers her face, a blush creeping up her cheeks as Hope shakes her head. She couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"But we hate him." Maureen has a scold on her face and Hope mimics it. "Of course."

"Afterwards, he called me J? Who the fuck is J?" Hope's legs give in under her and suddenly she's on the ground. Her mouth is open as she tries to process all the information, she takes a bite of her croissant. Her body felt like it was giving in on her.

"Get off the floor, that's disgusting." Alec steps over her, and stands next to Maureen. "Do you know who that is?" Maureen leans down and Hope takes another bite of her croissant.

"God needs to fix this before I do." She starts rolling from left to right. "Alec." Alec holds his hand out to Maureen. "Maureen."

"What's wrong with her?"

"I have tea." Hope answers. "Tell me who that is." Maureen leans down and Alec follows. Hope doesn't speak, she tries to roll away but Alec's foot blocks her path.

"I need to roll myself out of this mess." Hope groans. "I can't think about this. I need to die. Again." Hope takes another bite of her croissant and Maureen turns to Alec. "When I say the letter J, who do you think about?"

"J-" Hope tackles him to the ground, an unsettling sight to behold. "I think I need a minute before we unload all that." Hope covers his mouth. "Nod so I know you won't say the name on your lips, so that I know you won't even speak." He nods. She removes her hand.

"Jace, I think of Jace." She gasps, so does Maureen.

"What's the big deal?" Alec asks when Hope starts slapping his arms, hitting him over and over again. "Simon called me J post-orgasm." Maureen steps over Alec's legs. "J." She repeats.

"He was probably confused. Hope is the one who has feelings for Jace." Alec furrows his brows in confusion.

"Hope has feelings for Izzy." Maureen argues.

"No, what the fuck?" Alec asks and Hope watches the two. "She always talks about Izzy."

"Well, her tension with Jace is practically palpable."

"Let's just ask the woman. Hope what do you like about Izzy?" Hope felt heat rise to her cheeks. Izzy, Iz, Isabelle. The name has been stuck on repeat on Hope's mind and when she spoke it, it tasted sweet on her lips.