chapter one. a threat to the clave

Hope Mikaelson didn't really believe in love, well not until she met Isabelle Lightwood that is.

Things were messy for the group of Shadowhunters, supernaturals and mundanes, they lost someone in their team. Jace was gone and everyone around Hope was caught in a panic but all she was focused on was being in love. Thoughts of Izzy kept the fear of what could possibly be happening to Jace away but at night, when she was alone in her bedroom, she couldn't breath.

She acted like she didn't care but he was her friend, and a part of her still cared about him, she would never stop caring about him. She wanted to save him but her hands were tied, none of the spells she tried worked which meant Valentine was using some powerful warlocks. Almost no one was strong enough to evade Hope, not even Magnus Bane or even The Silent Brothers.

Hope was working on the spell again, ended up with nothing again when she heard someone approach her bedroom and she slammed her closet shut. She put the map she used in there, it made it easier to hide, she softly and swiftly made her way back to her bed when there was a knock on her door.

"Come in, Izzy." she fixed her skirt and then her bangs as she watched the door open and saw Izzy stick her head in. She looked exhausted like she did most days but still beautiful, even with bags under her eyes. Hope gave her a small smile as she shut the door behind her, leaning against it.

"Lay down with me." Hope patted a spot next to her on the bed and Izzy pushed herself off the door, slowly crawling onto the bed as Hope draped an arm around her, head on Izzy's chest as it rose and fell with every jaded breath she took. "Alec snapped again, he's going crazy with Jace gone." Izzy spoke softly while Hope ran her fingers up and down the girl's arm, trying to bring her some peace, knowing she could never do that. The only way for Izzy to be happy, and peaceful and the only for them to ever be together was if Hope found Jace, if Hope found her lost brother.

"I'm really sorry." Hope's tone was sincere when Izzy looked down at her, confusion painted on her face. "You have nothing to sorry about." she used her hand to brush Hope's hair out of her eyes, clearing her line of sight. "I should've done more that day, you must hate me." Hope knew Izzy had to hate her, the voices in her head told her that all the time. Her own voice would often break through to cement the thoughts.

"Hope." Izzy's voice broke open her thoughts as the girl with the perfectly warm and gentle brown eyes stared down at her. "You'll always be my favourite person, no matter what." she watched as Hope gave her a weak smile before she rested her head on Izzy's chest, "You're my best friend, Hope Mikaelson."

Hope pulled on her leather jacket, making her way out of her room with Izzy following behind her

Hope pulled on her leather jacket, making her way out of her room with Izzy following behind her. They were called to the ops centre, they were fiercely on their way when Maryse blocked their path. "What's wrong?" Izzy asked her mom, eyes focused on the woman when a man appears behind her. He's roughly six feet tall, perfectly slicked back black hair and he's neck is covered in ruins that seem well hidden beneath his suit.

"Nothing is wrong but I would like you to meet the new head of the Institute, Victor Aldridge." Maryse steps out of the way and the man locks eyes with Hope, like he's trying to read her but she keeps his eyes contact.

"You must be Ms Mikaelson, the pleasure is all mine." he takes her hand into his, placing a kiss on the back of it as she stares over at Izzy before looking back at the man.

"I'm awesome so of course it is." he laughs and takes a step back from her when she feels someone grab her arm, another man she's never seen before. "I've heard you are which only makes this harder." the man stares down at the blonde and she furrows her brows. She hadn't been intimidated by the man holding onto her arm but she found it strange to say the least.

"Let go of her." Izzy looks past Hope to the man who just looks ahead of him, acting as if she wasn't even talking to him. "No, it's perfectly fine." Hope rests one hand on Izzy's back, giving her a warm smile. "Let me guess, the Clave doesn't want me here."

"You're a threat to them,"

"A threat? Hope's loyalty is with us." Izzy takes a step towards the man with the perfect suit and perfect smile and Hope pulls her back. "She is a Mikaelson, it might not stay with us forever. Especially not with Jace being with the enemy, he could easily convince her to be a spy for them." Izzy scoffs, "You've got to be kidding, neither of them are traitors." Izzy slips out of Hope's grip.

"Then why is she leaving?" Maryse asks, looking over Izzy's shoulder to where Hope was heading for the door. Izzy turned to her before going to facing her mother and Victor. "You're making a mistake." she chases after Hope, the two girls not both standing outside of the Institute with Hope taking off her jacket in the cold.

"We don't want you catching a cold." She wraps it around Izzy's shoulders, "Come on," the girl with the dark hair and the fiery eyes stares down at Hope. How could she just leave? "We have to fight, you can't go." she grabbed Hope's hand and interlaced their fingers as Hope laughed, her breath turning into smoke in the winter air.

"I'm just going to be at my apartment, you always know where to find me." she smiles, lips, nose and cheeks turning the same bright red. "I don't want you to go." Izzy's voice grew higher as her eyes grew softer. "Call me if you need me or just knock on my door. At any time." Hope pulls the girl into her grasp, her arms tightly around Izzy's body. For a second Izzy just stands there, not knowing what to do before she gives in and accepts the embrace.

"And make sure to give Alec his jacket back." they pulled away, Hope placing a kiss on Izzy's already red cheek before turning and disappearing into the streets of New York.