chapter thirty. your heart is my home

Hope zips up her boots, climbing off her bed when there's a knock on her bedroom door."Come in Magnus," she says turning to face the warlock. "How did you know it was me?" he asks looking at the younger girl. "You're the only one who knocks plus I can smell you," she says with a shrug, no one knocked on her door, not even Alec, her room was everyone's second room.

"That's weird but I'm here to tell you that the cup was taken and Lydia's been injured," Magnus says as Hope laughs, she didn't even know who that was. Oh wait, Alec's almost wife, fuck but that couldn't be. She just saw Lydia.

"That's funny," she says as he looks at her straight before the younger girl runs out of her room.

"I guess you heard the news," Alec says looking at the confused girl, "How? Isn't this place supposed to be a fortress?" a part of Hope was worried about Lydia but she was just so confused. "It is." Alec points to the screen as Hope turns to it before looking back at him. Someone hurt Lydia, someone on the inside.

"Who is that?"

"Hodge."

"Who?" she asks.

"He was our mentor," Jace explains and Hope nods, trying to walk away but Jace stops her. "I guess I'm gonna have to kill your mentor, sorry guys." She tries to fight but he throws her over his shoulder in one swift motion. "Woah. Put her done, I just got flashed." Alec says looking away from the two as Jace puts the small girl down. "We treated him like family. How could he?" Alec asks looking at the younger girl, she didn't care about that, she didn't want to say it aloud but she really didn't.

"I'm gonna go see Lydia and try not to kill ten people on my way there," Hope says walking away. After talking to Lydia for a while, she finally comes back. She walks up to Jace and Alec who are getting the weapons ready before Jace walks away at the sight of her. Funny because he had his hands all over her barely an hour ago.

"What are you doing?" Clary asks looking at the two when Hope takes a blade for herself, she didn't need it but it was nice to have. "Every second we wait Hodge could get closer to Valentine," Alec explains.
which he feels like he didn't need to because the redhead should've been able to use context clues. "He's right and every second Hodge gets closer to Valentine is a second where I can't rip his throat open." Hope explains with a wicked smile.

"Why do you care so much? Did you even know her?" Clary asks as Hope faces her. Those were both valid questions. "She's blonde, by default she was like my sister." and if someone on the inside can hurt Lydia Branwell, what can stop them from hurting Clary, or Jace, Alec and especially Izzy. It was about the principle, he hurt someone that was important to the Clave, he had the chance to do that so what's to stop someone from bashing Clary's head in on a whim? Hope had to show them what they were up against if they even touched the people she loved. "Can we talk about it?" Clary asks but Hope shakes her head.

"What do you wanna talk about? How about we talk about how Hodge betrayed them. How they treated him like family and he stabbed them in the back. How he hurt Lydia. She was supposed to go to London and live a happy life but no, she's here in the hospital because this Hodge guy is a traitor and when I find him I'm not gonna hurt him, I'm going to kill him." the two people at her side went silent, seeing a side of Hope they barely ever got a chance to see.

"Emotions cloud judgment, Hope. Your judgment is clouded by this." Clary says as Hope rolls her eyes. "She's right. Your emotions are clouded and she has to wake her mom. You're gonna stay with her and help her wake her mom," Jace suddenly walks back in, explaining to the group as Hope shakes her head. "No, I'm not. I'm gonna go with you, I'm strong." Hope said what they all knew. "No, you can't and Alec is the leader here so he decides." he says, looking over at the older man. "Stay here, we'll be alright."

"Fuck you, Alec."

"I need you

"I need you."

When Hope gets that message she ignores the anger she held towards Alec and immediately drove to Magnus' place. She gets there and practically runs through the door.

"You came."

"You texted." Hope sighs.

"Jace went after Valentine." he says and Hope nods, taking in the information. "I tried to stop him but he wouldn't listen" he adds shortly after, trying to explain himself to Hope as if he needs to. "I should have gone with, I shouldn't have taken no for an answer not when you idiots clearly need me." Hope looks up at the older man, her eyes softer than usual.

"But Jace wants us to find the book and stay on mission." Alec explains, in his message he told her about the book of the white. "You can do that. I'm gonna go find Jace and kick his ass." Hope was still deciding if that was a joke or not as she started walking away but Alec calls her name as she turns around. "Be safe." he practically commands as she nods, "Always." She goes back to the institute grabbing one of Jace's shirts before her phone rings in her pocket. "Jace, where the fuck are you?" she answers.

"Better question. Where are you?" Jace seems just as pissed as her but he didn't have the right to be upset at her about where she was. "I'm at the institute. I'm looking for you." she explains before she hears a beep in her ear.

"Son of a bitch."

"What's wrong?" she turns and finds Izzy standing at Jace's door. "Your brother is a fuckface, that is what's wrong." Hope let out a shakey breath. She had to find him, she currently hated him but he felt like her problem.

"He loves you, you know that?"

"Alec?" Hope asks and Izzy shakes her head, "Oh." Hope gets a scent off Jace's shirt, it would be easy to find him now.

"Something happened between you two, am I right?" Hope nods. "It was a mistake, starting something with him was a mistake." she should've known Jace would act like a child, she didn't like parenting someone she was sleeping with.

"Oh."

"I still care about him but-" Hope pauses. "But?" Izzy asks as Hope steps out of the room, shutting the door behind her. "I have to go." she said, trying to walk past Izzy whose words stop her. "But what, Hope?"

"But." she turned to face the dark haired girl, "I'm in awe of you, like your heart is my home, like I can't breathe when I can't see you. Like, I'm obsessed with you but in a nice way," Hope smiles gently, "Not a creepy a
stalker way so excuse me while I go save your brother from himself because although I hate him nearly all the time, you love him and I would die for the people you love." Hope is gone before Izzy can say anything else.

She screams at herself the entire way to find Jace, she wishes she could stay with Izzy but she couldn't, right now she needed to put her feelings aside, feelings cloud judgement.