chapter twenty. barbieland

Hope wakes up warm in her bed, her arms and legs wrapped into Izzy's, the dark haired girl's hair somehow ending up in her face. For a moment she doesn't move, her head resting on Izzy's shoulder as she tries to brush the hair out of her face without pulling on the girl's roots.

Izzy is a peaceful sleeper, a cuddler and her body heat emanates from her, brushes against Hope and heats her up from the inside. She's pulled out of that peace and serenity when her phone rings next to her. She immediately picks it up, scared it might wake the peaceful girl next to her.

She presses it to her face.

"Where are you?" It's Maureen.

"At the Institute." Hope plays with the soft tips of Izzy's hair, her smile can't stay off her lips.

"Well, I'm on my way there." Maureen sounds like she's walking, she's practically breathless and there's a hint of anger in her tone.

"I can't tell you what happened over the phone. Meet me at the door." Maureen hangs up and Hope puts her phone back down. She lays back, closes her eyes for a brief moment when she feels Izzy turn in her grasp.

"What's wrong?" She opens her eyes and Izzy is still blinking the sleep from her eyes. At the sight of her Hope grows a little nauseous. She thinks it must be a Shadowhunter thing because most people don't look as pretty as Izzy when she wakes up.

"Maureen is on her way. I have to go get her outside before Alec does." Hope stretches her arm, the imprint of Izzy's hair still carved into her skin.

"Alec will definitely throw a hissy fit about it." It's cold when Izzy slips out of bed. Hope knows she has to get up too.

"How'd you sleep?" Hope yawned, forcing herself out from under the covers, tossing them aside as the cold air hits her bare thighs.

"Good but I had a weird dream. You were there." Izzy went to the mirror, picking up a hair brush as Hope stood behind her, taking it from her.

"I know." She starts working her way through the tangles as Izzy stares up at her in the mirror. "What?" Izzy laughs, Hope does the same. It's weird for her too, she forgot that power existed.

"Last night, you fell asleep before I did and before I fell asleep I was wondering what you were dreaming about." It usually takes Hope a while to fall asleep, an issue Izzy didn't seem to share.

"And when I fell asleep, it didn't feel like a Hope dream and I remembered dad once said vampires could go into people's dreams." Izzy watched as Hope brushed her hair, gently, so careful she couldn't even feel a tug.

"And you changed my dream." Izzy practically gasped, smiling as Hope picked up a comb. She parted Izzy's hair in two. Izzy's dream was darker before Hope fell asleep, she made Izzy's dream pinker.

"Do your dreams usually take place in Barbieland?" Hope shrugged at the question.

"I wanted you to have fun." She laughed, starting with a braid Jocelyn taught her when she was seven. She used to practice with Simon, Maureen and her number one model was always Clary. Hope could convince Clary to dread her hair, to shave it off even.

"I've never even been roller skating before." Izzy's eyes were alive with excitement when Hope pulled the hair tie from her hair to tie one of her braids. "Yeah and I wouldn't try in real life if I were you because I can't fly a plane either." Hope made them a plane, it was big and purple with the Barbie logo on the side. They were both pilots, it was fun even if they were struggling every now and then.

"You could've fooled me." Izzy got up when Hope finished her braid.

"I have to get dressed but I'm sure the others have drama so I'll see you soon." Izzy was at the door as Hope watched her, "I'll walk you to your room and I'll meet Maureen on the way."