chapter twenty nine. a hope problem

When Clary and Luke come back they report that Renwick's is crawling in demons and Clary devises the genius plan of taking the mortal cup and Hope and getting her mother, no matter what they have to do to get her. "I'll be honest, I would rather eat my own shit, choke on it and throw it up then be going to Staten Island." Hope feels the need to say and gains a look of disgust from Michael.

"That is the most disgusting analogy I've heard to date."

"Aww, thank you." she moves away from him.

"What do you think about him now?" Clary asks her when they're following everyone to the van. "I don't know what to think but I'm keeping my guard up. We all should." Hope lowers her voice when she finally reaches the others when she and Michael both go for the driver's seat.

"Sorry, I don't trust blonde men behind the wheel of a car." she climbs up, telling Clary to sit down beside her. "It's giving attitude to his father who he holds very highly. Guys don't like that." Clary leans over to whisper. "This is my face when you tell me about what blonde men like," Hope's face goes deadpan.

"Everyone get your seatbelts on and get ready to go to Staten Island. Keep your belongings close, you might get robbed by a street rat." Hope warns when they start driving and reach the last ferry to go meet their hell, both literally and figuratively. "When we get back we should buy pizza, I know this great place." Hope's hands go off the wheel and Jace is completely used to it. She points down to his feet where her small bag is, she asks him to take out her perfume.

"I doubt you'll need to impress anyone where we're going." Michael had a sudden attitude that Hope didn't like at all. She took the perfume from Jace before using it on herself. "I don't wear perfume for other people, I want to smell nice for myself." she uses one hand to grip the wheel. "Come on, let's make you smell pretty." she turned to Jace and Clary laughed from the back, finally Hope had a pretty doll to play with but Jace doesn't seem to mind. "You can't perfume my son." Michael says but Hope ignores him, letting Jace come close enough for him to spray some perfume on his neck, "The trick is to spray where you know you're gonna get kissed." then she sprays some on his wrists.

"You guys are cute and all and it's nice to see you guys not hate each other but watch the goddamn road." Clary slaps Jace's head away from Hope and he stays there. "She's just jealous of our passionate hatred of one another." Hope pokes Jace and he slaps her hand away. "Watch the road."

The hospital looks vacant when they get there but Hope tells everyone to stay close. "Hold my hand." she offers one for Jace, one for Clary. "Are they your children?" Michael gets a look from Hope that tells him to shut up and he obliges when Shadowhunters seem to spill out of the hospital, Hope is the first to attack, pulling out the whip Izzy gave her a few weeks prior that had been wrapped warmly around her forearm. She whips it out so hard that the whip seems to slice through two of the Shadowhunters' necks, their heads rolling onto the ground. Hope jumps, Clary screams and Jace stares dead ahead.

"I didn't know I could do that." Hope has a hand over her chest but her heartbeat is no where to be found. She felt a rush of electricity make it's way through her body, she wiped the whip clean on her t-shirt. "Run." Hope turns to Clary and she runs into the building, Hope after her, fighting off everyone that comes at them. They open multiple doors until they find Jocelyn. Clary tries to wake her but she can't, Hope promises they'll find a way but they had to go. They turn to the door and Jace runs through, followed by Michael as they slam the door shut, and hunters pile against it.

"Where's Luke?!" Clary jumps at the door but Jace pushes her back. "We left him to fight Blackwood." Jace exclaims as Clary tries to open the door but it won't budge. "He told us to." Michael turns to Hope, as if to tell her to get Clary in order. "We have to go back for him." Hope tries to reach for the door but Micheal stops her. "Who knows if he's even still-"