chapter twenty five. your guardian

Hope stood beside Alec, while everyone went to find Clary, Maureen and Simon, they had a different mission in mind. Wherever Alec went, Hope found herself following like a lost puppy.

"What we're doing might not be seen as morally right." Alec spoke as they walked down the hallway. "I'm not afraid to get my hands bloody." Hope's hands were behind her back, she was a good soldier.

"But if the others come to fight us, and I suspect they will." He turned to her as they walked to the entrance of the City of Bones. "I need you to back me." He looked down at her and she paused, taking in a heavy breath.

There were shadowhunters everywhere, all around her, people she didn't trust but she trusted Alec.

"Always."

When they reached the doors, wolves layed in wait. "This might be a trap! Check the parameter." Alec shouts over his shoulder as he took Meliorn from another shadowhunter while the rest fought the wolves.

"We'll take him inside, you make sure no one else can follow." She commanded, not sure if anyone would listen to her and definitely not sure of what would happen to Meliorn if she stayed on this track.

Would he get hurt? Would she be okay with it if it might they would some kind of way to fight Valentine?

They continued the walk alone. "Not to late to turn back." Meliorn spoke to them and Hope's grip on his wrists tightened. "Be quiet." She pushed him through the door. The entrance of the City of Bones layed ahead.

They were so close when someone called her name. "Hope!" It was Clary. She turned to Alec and then to the door which Jace was blocking now.

"You said you were taking Clary to the Institute. You lied." The moonlight shone on Alec's face as he spoke, highlighting his sharp cheekbones.

"I did what needed to be done." Jace stood in front of them, Hope wondered how he could even look at them from all the way on his high horse.

"The Clave has gone too far. You have to see that." Clary stood between them and Jace. "I have my orders." Alec spoke, face abandoned of any emotion.

"You and your damn orders! Who gives a shit about orders right now?" Clary pleaded for him to hear her.

"Hope," she turned to her friend. "You should know better than this."

"I'm doing this for you!" Hope stepped forward. "So we can finally go back to the life we had before this. I will save you, no matter what it takes."

"I don't want you to save me if you have to compromise who you are in the process." Clary tried to grab ahold of Hope's hand.

"She won't be. It is her job as your guardian to protect you." Meliorn spoke from behind Hope.

"Shut the fuck up or I will shut you up." Hope threatened.

"What do you mean by that? My guardian." Clary turned to him and Hope shoved him against a wall.

"I've heard the stories about Hope Mikaelson and Clary Fairchild. The Guardian and her Shadowhunter." Hope hits him so hard that he spits out blood.

"Hope!" Clary pushes her off him. "What does that mean?" She asked Meliorn as Hope tried to move between them.

"A Guardian is the person who keeps a young Shadowhunter blind, to take care of her no matter what. Hope has always been your Guardian." Clary pauses, "That doesn't make any sense."

"It would if you paid any attention." Meliorn spoke. "When was the first time you met Hope? You were probably in some kind of danger, someone was bullying, she showed up. She made you feel safe, made you feel like you had a guardian angel."

"He's lying." Hope starts but Clary shakes her head. "He can't fucking lie, Hope!"

"I just want to help you. Let me take care of you." Hope spoke when Clary's fist made contact with her jaw, the impact so hard that she nearly fell to the ground. She spat out blood, eyes meeting Clary's.

"You've helped enough." She turned to Jace, nodded as he grabbed Meliorn. Alec fought him on it but with one really hard punch, he was on the ground.

"Come on, Guardian Angel, you have some explaining to do."

"You have a beautiful realm

"You have a beautiful realm." Hope spoke as she followed Clary, Jace and Meliorn through the portal to the Seelie realm.

It was bright, all the colours hightened, the green of the grass, the pink and red of the flowers. Everything felt angelic.

"Shut up." Clary pulled Hope by whip she had wrapped around her friend's wrists, Izzy's electric whip.

"Whenever I pictured these on me, the circumstances were very different and none of you were there." Hope shrugged, a sneaky smile on her face.

"Back to the portals, are we even allowed to use them?" Clary change the subject. "There is no we. You go in alone."

"She can't, her guardian has to go wherever she goes." Hope spoke as Meliorn opened a portal, "What's the other demension like? Is it like this one?"

"It is, but it isn't." Meliorn replies.

"Can you be any more vague?" Jace asked.

"Could you be any more annoying?" Hope chirps up.

"It is an alternate time line where Shadowhunters and demons no longer exist." Meliorn speaks and Hope nods, she might actually like this place.

"Downwolders have conformed to the mundane life." He goes on to explain. "Shadowhunters were no longer enquired."

"That's nice, maybe in this world Jace won't wear so many leather pants." Hope slaps her hand together as if in prayer.

"Once you arrive in the alternate reality, you will consume the body of the Clary and Hope in that world but you must be careful or they'll consume you." Meliorn turns to them.

"Kinky." Hope answers and Clary pulls Hope closer. "Is there a way to stop it?"

"That's why it's better for Hope to go with you. So you can keep each other grounded." Meliorn places Clary's hand on Hope's.

"And if you find the portal and have to face Valentine, you'll have the Tribrid at your side." Meliorn turns his back on them and opens the portal between the world and the next.

"Time for some fun." Hope is the first to go through, Clary going in behind her.