Chapter 1

"That day... Humanity witnessed the end of the world...

...Or at least we thought so."

~~~

"Who's a good girl~? You are~!"

Matthew Robinson, a young man not older than 19, was sitting on the floor along with his golden retriever by the name Elizabeth. His amber playful eyes ever so bright as Elizabeth kept wagging her tail in excitement.

It was a nice sunny day. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Matthew was almost ready to leave the house and rush out to go to the college.

But fate seemed to have different plans for today...

"Huh?"

A small earthquake took place in the city which made the cup of hot coffee on the table to sightly tremble.

"We never had earthquakes in this city... What is going on so suddenly?" spoke worriedly Matthew as Elizabeth gave him a warning bark.

Soon enough, followed a big explosion from the west and an even greater and most definitely dangerous earthquake. Once everything calmed down, the careless Matthew walked slowly on the balcony and seconds later, he realized the terror that took place in his city.

Crumbled buildings, fire and panic was the least of things that worried him at the moment. What was horrifying in his eyes, was the giant tower in the center of the city. The massive metallic tower was so high up that you could almost think that it reached the sky. A big but faint white light emitted from the top as it was also surrounded by a blue glow.

Matthew's heart started beating anxiously, terrified even. All those horrors before him seemed to be straight out of a fantasy novel. Matthew took slowly out his phone and tapped quickly the numbers he had memorized since he was little. The other line of the phone almost immediately picking up.

"Matthew?" a weak female voice could be heard from the other side of the phone and Matthew breathed a sigh of relief.

"Grandma! Are you alright?!"

"Yes, thankfully I am. Now tell me about you. Are you in the college? Are you hurt?" spoke worriedly the woman as she tried her best to sound as calm as possible.

"Yes, I'm fine. But I'm still home. Where exactly are you right now and where is Adrian? Is he with you? Is he okay?" questioned Matthew with his anxiety increasing each second. He just couldn't stop his gut feeling from telling him that something horrible was going to happen.

"I'm outside of our shop. As for Adrian, he was with me a moment ago but he's nowhere to be found. You should also get out of there Matthew. You two are making me very worried. You are too close in the city's center and Adrian has completed disappeared."

"Don't worry. You stay right where you are. I'll find Adrian and come—"

"...Matthew?"

Matthew didn't reply, because what he saw in front of him made him completely speechless.

A big white wave of light was released from the top of the tower making the unaffected buildings fall as well. Without realizing it, the wave had already struck both Matthew and his apartment. A strong and unexplainable pain instantly appearing in Matthew's heart, like needles piercing inside endlessly. His head became foggy while his apartment began to slowly collapse.

"It hurts...! God damn it, it really hurts!" agonized Matthew while holding his chest in pain. His knees already giving up. A dark shadow slowly swallowing up his body while Matthew tried desperately to save himself. But to his surprise, the pain only lasted for a minute and the shadows completely vanished.