Chapter 11

Once again...our heroes were met with the slaughter of the end of the trial. As much more the time passed inside the tower, the more violent the people became.

Matthew tightened his fists and bit his lower lip in frustration. He glared at the ground and finally took in a deep breath in an attempt to calm himself down. His eyes sightly widened when he felt a hand resting on top of his left shoulder.

"Leave this to me."

Adrian's confident voice brought calmness into Matthew's beating heart...and he greatly hated himself for that. He felt guilty that he had to relay on everyone just because he was unable to take someone's life. He took a side glance of his best friend's calm and collected expression and a frown become plastered on his face. He wondered how Adrian was viewing things, if he had any difficulty or guilt inside him as well. But he just couldn't put himself into voicing those thoughts. Instead, he tried his best to not get into anyone's way.

Adrian walked forth, took a fighting stance and stood ready to take on anyone who dared to attack them. Dimitri and Kristine doing the exact same thing.

"Above us!" exclaimed Lilith and everyone turned their gaze above their heads. Countless metallic nails falling from above them.

Adrian gritted his teeth and created a big shield made of ice to save everyone, including himself. But much to their displeasure, the nails moved sideways and passed below of the ice, now once more headed towards them.

"Stay back!" yelled Matthew while doing the exact same thing he did in the first trial. But this time, he had complete control of it. He gathered the shadows from nearby and created a black, thick mist making all the nails stop mid air, as if the sole power of the shadows could stop time itself.

"Okay, whoever the fuck is doing this, is going to catch these hands! Come out and fight, you coward!" yelled then Kristine with her hoarse voice, but her demand was met with complete silence.

Soon after she said those words, the nails disappeared.

"Who the hell is behind all this? So annoying...," complained Lilith and Matthew stoped using his powers while looking skeptically towards the ground.

"It must had been the same idiot from the first trial," theorized Adrian and Matthew finally raised his head. His eyes turning to gaze at the all so familiar messenger in the center of the room.

"200 people have died. The third trial has been completed."

"Well done you guys. We passed another trial without killing anyone," praised Rosemary while clapping her hands. Her bright pink eyes looking towards Matthew as if she was expecting a certain respond from him. Matthew however only frowned, but still didn't said a thing. He couldn't be happy. Not when he watched people killing each other. And more than that, he couldn't be happy when he knew that he was going to kill a human sooner or later.

They were all just lucky for the time being...

"Come on, the forth trial has began. Let's not waste anymore time," advised Dimitri and Rosemary along with Adrian nodded their heads in agreement.

"Yeah...," mumbled Matthew with his head hanging low, "You're right..."

~~~

"The fuck-!"

Once they all stepped on the fifth floor of the tower, their eyes were met with a seemingly endless barren land and powerful hurricanes that were almost pushing them back into the portal.

"Shit! We can't see anything here! Let alone move!" voiced loudly Dimitri while Matthew brought his arms in front of his face as the dirt from the air would hit harshly his skin.