Chapter 4

Both Matthew and the rest finally entered the white portal. Only a step, and a whole nother world came into their vision.

Giant tropical trees, majestic and mesmerizing flowers with multiple bright colors that were shimmering down the bright sun...and an eerie heather purple fog embracing the earth.

This whole floor...this world...was defying every sense of reality.

"The sun... Even tho we are inside the tower...," breathed astonished Rosemary. Her pale delicate hands holding tightly the fabric of her dress.

"Are we really?" thought Adrian out loud. His fists tightening and the anxiety slowly suffocating him.

Lilith bended down to the ground and picked up a Garden Cosmos flower. The chocolate like smell making her icy expression to soften.

Matthew in the other hand looked around him with shining eyes. The view...the atmosphere...and the flowers reminded him of one specific person. His dearest and most loving person in his world...

His grandmother.

Matthew grew up with his grandma, since his parents died on a car crash. They both died young. Too young. They were gone so early that even Matthew didn't had any memories of them. But it was okay. He always had his grandma by his side. The memory of her watering the plants in her flower shop every evening came into his mind. The image of her smiling even thought she was suffering from back pain. Her bright brown eyes filled with wisdom, always gazing at the sky. A weighting and painfully sad feeling took over his heart. The anxiousness washing over him.

"Let's go everyone. Let's finish the second trial," voiced Matthew as he finally took a steady step forward.

"But where? We don't even know which direction to take... If we don't be careful, we may as well get lost," spoke Rosemary in disagreement. Her eyebrows sightly knitting together and her lips shut tight.

"You are right...," Sighed Matthew in defeat and his eyes slowly widened in realization. His mind turning on panic mode, "Wait a minute! Where is everybody?"

"Now that you mention it... We are the only ones here," mumbled Adrian and Matthew gritted his teeth.

"That's too strange... We were a total of 950 people left when we finished the first trial. How can no one be around? Did everyone got lost? Or even worse..."

"Come on guys. It's going to be okay. Let's go find an open area. Maybe following the brightest path will take us there," suggested Matthew while pointing at the most bright path after a short minute of silence. Rosemary and Adrian sharing questioning and worrying glances.

"Nuh-uh, I wouldn't go there if I was you."

The sudden voice of Lilith made everyone to freeze on the spot. Her bloody eyes glaring towards the ground.

"Why so?"

"There's a lot of poisonous plants that way. We should go from the path on our left," pointed Lilith at their left a dark and spooky path.

"How do you know that?" questioned Adrian and Lilith tched in annoyance.

"I can sense them thanks to my ability. If you don't want to trust me, then go ahead and get yourselves killed," she answered harshly and Matthew gave her a small smile.

"Okay. If you say that there's poison, I'm gonna believe you," he finally said and Lilith's eyes widened in complete surprise, "That way you said, right?" he then questioned, already walking forward.

"Yeah... That way doesn't have many poisonous plants but I'm not sure of what else is located there," she answered again, more calmly this time.

Adrian gave Lilith a glare but followed after Matthew anyways. His eyes and instincts, in high alert. He was ready to encounter anything that would stand in their way.