Chapter 15

"That's the fifth trial, huh?" worded Kristine while resting her hands on her hips in a bored manner.

The next floor that they all had just stepped foot into, was just one single - but specious - dark green room. At the wall opposite of the portal, were two different doors. The right one had the elegant and mysterious color of dark blue, while the one at the left, had an outgoing and seemingly happy color of yellow. And right in the middle of them both, a big golden scale.

Matthew walked confidently closer while the rest shared worried glances. Matthew's eyes looked curiously at the doors and then at the scale. His eyes narrowing ever so slightly and his fists clenched tightly, as his mind was in deep thought.

"Guys look," voiced Lilith with her right index finger pointing right above the golden scale, "There are words appearing on the wall."

"Look for the lie behind the truth, look for the shadow below the sun. The illusion that is real and the reality that is not. Where the black is white and the white is black, only when you see the lie, you'll be able to see the sun," translated Adrian skillfully but only Rosemary and Dimitri made an effort to acknowledge him.

"We just need to go through one of the doors, right? Let's open them both at the same time," suggested Lilith while approaching the yellow door.

"That...probably won't work," theorized Dimitri and Lilith crossed her arms together and rolled her eyes at his words.

"Oh come on, it won't hurt to try."

"...I'll go open the blue one," voiced suddenly Matthew, now walking towards the blue door, "Lilith, you open the door at the count of three."

"Roger!"

"Okay... here we go. One..."

Everyone was on edge. After everything they all went through, who could blame them for being skeptical of the Gods?

"Two..."

Holding their breaths, our heroes could only wonder what is awaiting them behind those doors.

"Three!"

With that, both Matthew and Lilith opened simultaneously the doors revealing the unexpected.

The yellow door led to another room that looked exactly the same as the one they were already in, while the blue door showed nothing else but pitch black darkness, that felt that if you made one single step, you would instantly fall into an endless pit.

"Really now? It was that easy?" wondered suspiciously Lilith and Kristine placed a hand over the younger girl's left shoulder.

"Who cares~ The point is that we can proceed deeper into the trial. Now, move your asses!" cheered Kristine while walking ahead into the yellow door.

"Come on, let's go," voiced then Rosemary while giving an encouraging smile towards her partner who she in return took her hand into hers and nodded in agreement.

"Let's."

Matthew in the other hand was still looking stubbornly into the endless pit of the blue door. A strange feeling of uneasiness washing over him.

"Come on kid, don't think too much about it. We'll know if it's a trap or not sooner or later," said Dimitri convincingly and Matthew nodded his head.

While turning around to go to the yellow door, Matthew's eyes caught a glimpse of Adrian who was still standing at the very back of the room with his eyes piercing holes into him. Pleading to be noticed, to be understood... Despite hating to see the despair and sadness into his eyes, Matthew was quick to avert his gaze and follow slowly behind Dimitri.