Chapter 9

"Leave it to me."

With that, Adrian formed an icy sword in the right palm of his hand and took a protective stance in front of his teammates.

The lava people started running one by one towards them. They were quick and flexible, but it was nothing compared to Adrian's power. Every lava person that he couldn't caught and kill with his sword, was stopped from a big wall he made in order to prevent them from reaching the rest.

"Way to go kid! But for how long are you to keep going like this?" asked Kristine as Adrian swung his sword with a quick motion of his hand defeating three lava people in one go.

"Those things just keep on coming... Are they even going to stop?" thought Adrian slicing another one with his icy sword. The now vaporized lava person turning immediately into broken pieces of extrusive igneous rocks.

Suddenly, the lava people stopped attacking and backed a few meters away.

"Huh?"

Then, they all simultaneously shoot fire balls purposely to break the ice shield that was protecting the rest.

"The wall is melting!" exclaimed Rosemary and Adrian clenched his teeth.

"Oh for fuck's sake! Now we got more trouble coming for us," hissed Dimitri and all of them turned to look behind them.

"You have to be kidding me...,"

What was about to attack them, was now ice people. They had sharp icy limbs and they were about the same height as the lava people. It was obvious that Matthew and the rest were at a big bad position.

Adrian raised his hand and quickly created another big wall for the time being. His eyes looking anxiously at every direction.

"It's okay guys... We'll fight them separately taking into account our powers. Me and—"

"We are fleeing away," voiced suddenly Adrian cutting off Matthew's suggestion.

"You can flee all you like, I'm staying here to fight those bastards," blurted Kristine with a shrug and Dimitri shook negatively his head towards her.

"We should all be prepared for the big fight so fleeing now is the best option," spoke Dimitri and Adrian gave him a nod.

"At the count of 3, I'm breaking the wall."

"Hey! I didn't agree to this!" yelled Kristine and Lilith gave her an annoyed face.

"Oh shut it," cursed Lilith and Kristine rolled her eyes with silent words of complaints coming out of her mouth.

"I'm breaking the wall, 1...2...," informed Adrian and Lilith's eyes widened in panic.

"Wait, I wasn't ready yet!"

"...3!"

The icy wall broke down into pieces and everyone started running away towards the canyon.

"Damn it, damn it, damn it!" yelled Matthew at the top of his lungs as his feet ran as fast as they could. After a long distance, he turned his head to see if those monsters were still following them, but to his surprise, they were nowhere to be found, "...Hey... Hey guys, they don't follow us anymore...," he spoke tiredly, now slowing down to catch his breath.

"...Yeah... Seems like we are safe for now," agreed Adrian as he finally turned to look back as well.

"Gosh~ I'm so tired~" whined Lilith and Matthew nodded frantically his head.

"Yeah, we should rest for a while."

"How long has it been since we entered the tower?" wondered Dimitri and Kristine gave him a shrug.

"Beats me."

"Time should be the least of things that we should be worried about. Let's focus on passing the trial for the time being," suggested Adrian and Matthew let out a sigh.

"You're right..."

"Come to think of it, none of us seem to have any physical needs such as hunger. You think it's because we are inside the tower? Or because we haven't actually been here for long?" theorized Rosemary and Dimitri narrowed his eyes in deep thought.

"Nothing's sure but I would go with the first option. I doubt that even if we were here for a short while, nobody would be hungry."

"Seems like it..."

"Alright," spoke Adrian while stretching his body, "We probably should continue on our way."

"No way Mr. Impatient. We are still resting," refused harshly Lilith and Adrian gave her a glare.

"If we stay here, there's a high chance the monsters will come after us again."

"But they already stopped following us and it's already been a while and nothing dangerous appeared."

"You..."

"Adrian, we haven't rest at all since we entered the first safe point. Can't we all just rest for a little bit longer." groaned Matthew and Adrian let out a sigh while rubbing roughly the back of his head.

"Ugh... Fine...,"

"Good job Matthew~" smirked Lilith and Matthew gave her a thumbs up.

"Adrian really seems to have a soft spot for Matthew huh?" noted Kristine and Dimitri nodded sightly his head to the woman beside him.

"I mean, they are best friends after all. No wonder they are so close."

"Best friends huh?" whispered Kristine to herself as her glaring eyes focused once more at Adrian.

"Huh? Did you say anything?" questioned Dimitri and Kristine just laid down to the ground with her arms behind her head like a pillow.

"Nope."

~~~

"Okay! Time to find the temple!" voiced loudly and very optimistically Matthew with his happy-go-lucky smile.

"If it exists, that is," corrected Dimitri and Matthew gave him a grimace.

"Would it kill you to be optimistic for once?!"

"I prefer to be a realist," smirked Dimitri and Matthew frowned his eyebrows.

"Come on boys and girls, move your asses!" laughed Kristine as all of them restarted their journey closer to the canyon.

After a long and tiresome journey, our heroes were finally able to feel hope filling their hearts. Their eyes glimmering with awe and their beating hearts echoing in their ears.

Now, with their foots at the edge of the clif, their eyes were finally met with the canyon's pit along with the one and only thing they were looking for.

The temple.

"So how are we going to...," questioned Lilith and Kristine shook her off with a laugh.

"Adrian will help us out of course! Come on kid, do your thing!" she encouraged and Adrian did as he was told. He wanted to decline in order to not let the woman have her way. He really hated the way she spoke to him like a little kid but he couldn't really say anything against it. He had to create another slide made of ice for them to go down.

"Right..."

With that said, Adrian created another, this time much longer and bigger, icy slide. His arms were sightly going numb and faintly itching in pain. It seemed that if he used too much his power, his body would slowly but surely freeze as well.

Matthew caught a glimpse of that but decided to not voice his thoughts for the time being. The worry tightening his heart.

"Alright... It's finished," breathed Adrian and soon enough, one by one started sliding down the clif.

"Heh, I could get used to it," snickered Rosemary and Lilith hugged herself in a self-comforting manner.

"I could never!"

"Come on guys, let's go to the temple," spoke Matthew now walking ahead. His eyes admiring the giant enormous temple made of ice and extrusive igneous rocks. The 4 icy pillars right in front of the entrance were decorated with two specific symbols. Not knowing their origin and meaning, they all proceed ahead into the temple, "Let's see what this trial holds for us..."