Chapter 8

"This is it... The third trial."

With a soft whisper from Rosemary, everyone passed the portal for the third trial. The atmosphere around them, filled with thick and heavy uncertainty.

Once they stepped on the other side of the white portal, the scenery before them changed completely once more. The sky was dark like an empty void, but even so, everything was still clearly visible to their eyes. Matthew looked around him and saw countless sharp ice columns as far the eye can see and a big, long river filled with lava passing through a giant ice crystal. Despite the river's heat level, the ice was stubbornly not melting. A few kilometers away, you could faintly see a big, seemingly endless canyon.

Matthew looked down at his feet and cold sweat started running down his forehead. All of them were standing on top of an ice column and Matthew took a big gulp of his saliva.

"So what now?" he questioned and Rosemary put a hand on her chin in deep thought.

"I could create a plant for us to climb down but...with this kind of environment... It's going to be rather difficult."

"I'll take care of it," spoke suddenly Adrian and Matthew gave him a face full of wonder, "I'll create a path for us to slide down. That way it'll be quick and easy."

"But not safe. Are you sure this is a good idea?" voiced worriedly Matthew and Adrian gave him a confident smirk.

"Don't worry, I'll protect you."

"For fuck's sake, just get this over with," whined Lilith with her sharp narrowed eyes and tightly crossed arms.

Adrian rolled his eyes and walked slowly towards the edge of the ice. He crouched down and placed his palms on the ice. With his power, he was able to create a slide that reached the ground.

"Not that bad, am I right?" smiled proudly Adrian as he turned to look at Matthew who he in return gave him a mischievous smirk.

"Nah, you are not that powerful— H-Hey! Stop that!" Adrian warped his arm around Matthew's neck and started messing his hair in a playful manner, "I'm sorry! I take it back! I take it back!"

"No Matthew, you have to suffer first!" laughed Adrian as both of them kept to wholeheartedly joking around.

"Ugh, let's leave them Rosemary," suggested the bloody eyed girl as Kristine and Dimitri had already left them all behind, "Eh... Rosemary? Is everything alright?" questioned Lilith as she watched closely her partner who was sadly gazing at the two best friends.

"For how long are we all going to stay like this? Joking around...laughing...fighting together," thought Rosemary as her eyes focused towards Adrian, "I wonder how hard it must be for him especially..."

"Earth to Rosemary~ Are you listening to me? Is everything okay?" asked worriedly Lilith as she was finally able to shaken up Rosemary from her deep thoughts.

Rosemary shook her head, gave a smile and caressed gentle Lilith's head, "Everything's fine, let's go," she finally said and Lilith nodded sheepishly her head with a smile.

Once the two girls went down, both Matthew and Adrian seemed to finally caught up with the situation.

"Damn, they all wend down already!" commented Matthew as he walked closer at the edge to see the rest waiting for them to get down from the ice column as well.

"See? It's perfectly safe."

"I'll believe it's safe once I get down."

"Then what are you waiting for? Let's go," spoke Adrian with a smirk as he took a hold of Matthew's hand, now walking quickly towards the ice slide.