22

"Gosh, Mamma, I can't breathe!" I gasp when she tightens the strings to my corset

"Oh hush, yes you can," she pulls the straps tighter and begins to tie them. 

I step into my simple black dress and Mamma pulls it up while I slip my arms into the thin single straps. 

Mamma wears a pretty blue dress that is the shade of her eyes.

"What mask are you wearing this year?" I ask Mamma.

"Well, Papá and I are wearing the gold ones I showed you," she responds.

Mamma places a kiss on my cheek, "Meet me downstairs before guests arrive, okay?"

I nod my head and watch as she leaves the room. When I lean down to look at myself in the mirror, the leftover lipstick from Mamma's kiss is stained on my cheek. I lick my thumb and rub the red off. 

I open the vanity drawer and pick up my mask. It is a skull mask that only has a top jaw. It almost looks like it was plastered from how it is all cracked. I put it on but don't pull it down to cover my face. I take my knife, Allegra, and slip it underneath my dress.

I make my way to Matteo's room to make sure he is getting ready. I crack the door open and see him adjusting his curly dark hair. Good. He will be on time, unlike last year.

Last year it was five minutes before we had to be downstairs and he was still snoozing, drool running from his mouth. It was a mess in his room by the time he was done getting ready because he was throwing clothes everywhere.

I quietly shut Matteo's door and walk the length of the hall to the staircase. At the bottom  Mamma and Papá stand near the front door, greeting guests.

These guests look to be a couple from the way they keep their hands clasped together and their wedding bands shining from the light above. The lady is a few inches shorter than me and the man is easily a foot taller than her. The lady's gown is a deep violet which matches the eye masks the couple wears. Mamma and Papá shake their hands and gesture down the hall that leads to the ball room.

"Do you need help with anything?" I ask my parents.

Papá shakes his head, "We've got everything taken care of," he dismisses.

Before I leave I hear the lock of front door, meaning they are not allowing any guests in the house other for ballroom, which has its own door from outside.

When I get to the ballroom door I pull my mask down to cover majority of my face. The moment the door opens the sound of 60s music, the song in particular being 'Emotions.'

The door I entered is off to the side of the room, so my entrance isn't eye turning or anything.

Not everyone takes participation in the whole masquerade theme. The first person I notice of who didn't is Lucas, an old friend of my father. In his dark suit you can still see his tattoos from the collar.