10

It was a chilly day in October, which Ekim appreciated because her birthday was pretty demanding about the weather.

Normally, it would rain or storm, but today the sun shone brightly, as if to remind her that she had accomplished all of the essential things in her life for the time being.

When she looked over to her friends who chatted happily to each other she began to smile.

Bekir was playing the cool DJ, which brightened her mood. He had a natural ability to make her laugh. He'd been this this since they were three years old. He was often concerned about her when she wasn't feeling well for a variety of reasons.

He was like an elder brother, although he was from a different mother.

Then she turned to face Dağhan and Ayşe, who were now discussing something silly for Ekim but exciting for them. She was occasionally envious of their connection. It was so simple and pure that she yearned for the same for herself. Wasn't that something she deserved? A boy who took care of her and was never poised by others lied.

Her eyes was drawn to Hazal, who was eating her anger away because she had a quarrel with Orijinal. Ekim hoped they will reconcile as soon as possible. They deserved one another.

Of course, she couldn't forget about her frenemy Melisa, who was flirting with Ateş when Ozan stood nearby. The poor boy couldn't comprehend that she didn't love him. But, in all honesty, she was happy for Melisa to find happiness, even if she was occasionally throwing dirt into her way.

She finally entered the garden, drawing everyone's attention to her. She hadn't realised Kanat and Aziz were there until now. Having Aziz so close to her seemed uncomfortable because he had only lied to her since their first encounter, but everyone deserved a second chance, so she would keep an eye on how things played out.

Kanat's presence was somewhat justified, yet the fact that he was still close by occasionally brought forth regrettable memories. She wanted to forget them and lock them behind a locked door with a key, but she couldn't. She just gets those flashbacks at the most inconvenient occasions.

She longed to be with him at the same time, causing an internal conflict between loving and loathing him.

Of course she confessed, but she felt like slapping herself for her folly. It was as if a small voice in her brain was warning her not to forgive him.

She did, however, recall how desperate he was when he apologised to her. He apologised to her several times. He even got on his knees the other day which made her incredible uncomfortable.

"Congratulations on your birthday." He smiled as he approached her and complimented her. She, on the other hand, was unable to reciprocate it.

"Thank you." She thanked him with a grin that wasn't really genuine. Kanat saw something was wrong with her and took her into the house, closing the door behind her.

"What's the matter?" He inquired, concerned, and caressed her cheek, causing her to recoil. That flinch bothered him. When they were on the balcony, she flinched like that. She remembered him apologising to her for the first time.

"Ekim..."

"Do you feel bad about what you did to me?" Kanat was surprised. He hadn't anticipated that inquiry.

"How come you're asking me that now?"

He wanted to evade the subject, just like he did in the vehicle. The worst thing he'd ever done was to do that to her.