Chapter Twenty-One: A terrifying nightmare.

Alina's eyes widened as she looked from the ceiling, a feeling of dread filling her body, freezing her in place even when all she wanted to do was close her eyes and run away.

Aurora's P.O.V:

I had gotten into serious trouble before. When I snuck out that day, ran away really. I had never seen any of my siblings that mad at me. The younger four made us sneak out after and we got a decent-sized lecture from all four of them at different times. Punishment sucked. I was sure I would never put myself in that situation ever again.

But as I continued walking into the business section of the house, the book in my hand became heavier and heavier. I shouldn't have picked it up and yet I could not bring myself to go back and keep it on his desk. I wanted to see it. I was scared of the consequence. A pissed Landon is not to be messed with. 

He had only ever been truly mad at me once, after Dustin had bought me back and then saved me from Landon's lecture but even the start of it was enough to scare me to never make my brother angry again. Looking at the book in my hand, that was about to change.

Changes were coming pretty quickly. I made a gun. Nico and Milo would leave. So would the younger four. And I loved the oldest two. Really. They treated me like a child but Vince usually showered me with affections of all kinds and I love and well Alina was my home. I hadn't talked to him in a while now. He tried calling. I didn't answer.  

I think my chest, now, felt heavier too. 

I think I was on the verge of being told off by him like Nico was that day. But I don't know. I was still a little sore I think. I didn't like it, at all. Vince was well Vince. He was probably the sibling I most interacted with on a day-to-day basis apart from Nico, actually even including Nico. 

I shook my head slightly, telling myself not to think about things like that now, I was supposed to be happy at finally completing this task of gun making. And then I was thinking about what would happen when I finally showed Alina the gun. If only I knew that none of the reactions I was thinking about would be true, because I wouldn't be surprising Alina, it would end up being the quite opposite. If only I thought more of it. If only I asked her more questions. 

If only I had been less self absorbed, it would still be the same.

My thoughts drifted here and there as I walked, I looked back down at the sketchbook in my hands, my thumb rubbing over the cover for comfort. My thoughts became a little sadder but then I thought about it again, I'd get my phone, I could text Dan again.

I was smiling again. My chest suddenly felt lighter. 

I felt happy with the idea, I wanted to text him, I missed his overly sweet texts, I missed his random fun facts, I missed the way he made me feel normal, like I wasn't a Black, like I was just Aurora because even if I was with Fiona, I always knew in the back of my head I was friends with the people I was friends with because I was special in this case, I know they're not like that, that they aren't forced to spend time with me and I know they are not using me or anything but I don't see Aurora Richardson hanging around with Rhydian and Dev, joking with West, making bets with Nathan, letting Fiona and Kylie drag her to shops, but I do see her talking to Dan. Admiring Dan. 

Everything and everyone in my life made me feel like a Black, Dan made me feel like Aurora.

With others, I acted, like when Kylie randomly proposed to go Paris for breakfast be back home in time for dinner, I pretended it was an option but with Dan I marvelled at it, laughed at it, shrugged it away. 

Thinking happily of the idea that we would meet soon and that I could text him tonight, along with the rest of my friends, I opened the door and everything froze, the thoughts disappeared from my head, my legs didn't work, my eyes widened, I stopped breathing. 

Alina looked up, still bent down over the body of a man I couldn't make out the exact features of his, his fact was hidden with blood, swelled up where it shouldn't be, his neck being held up by his collar, Alina's fist met the side of face one final time, a teeth rolled out as blood poured out his mouth, he was crying, not crying, screaming in pain but it was muffled by the blood in his mouth, his body battered, his head was damaged severely, I couldn't even make out his eyes. 

I could feel a scream bubbling up my throat, panic that built itself up expertly in my chest, my heart was thudding so painfully fast, it hurt my chest, but nothing came out, no cry, no notice, no scream, no question. I couldn't even move my eyes from the nightmare in front of me.

The man was bloodied, dirty, in a world of pain, completely in contrast to my sister who now stood upright and tall as ever, clean, calm, only her knuckles bloodied and not with her own blood, she nonchalantly pulled out a silk handerchief, rubbing off the blood from her knuckles as she stepped over his body, my hands felt clammy as she walked towards me, a shiver ran through my body. My feet still didn't move. 

My sister was the reason that man was in pain. My sister willingly did that. My sister didn't care. 

"Aurora," She looked at me as if I didn't just see her most kill someone with just her fist, or finish the job, whatever the aim of it was, "Have you had lunch yet?"

And there was no drug that affected my mind to help me forget the sight, the emotions, the panic, the fear. Nothing lessened my reactions. Nothing numbed the panic.

It was clear, I was there, everything was hitting me at once but I couldn't move. 

There was a man lying in a pool of his own blood and what Alina cared about was if I had lunch or not. 

And I hoped to whoever was upstairs that I had fallen asleep in car with Landon and this was just a terrifying nightmare.

____________________________________________

Hellllloooo!

I got fever so this chapter got delayed, my half-yearlys start in 4 days, I haven't opened a single book, wish me luck. 

Thoughts? Do you have a guess for the 'if only' bits? Do you think Aurora's tone shifted by the way? I'm writing her again after a while. Tell me if you think so.

Comment. Vote. Share. Comment.

I live for your comments. Honest. Also thanks for 90k??? That's wild. 

How was everyone's day? 

Oh and who do you think she beat up and why? 

Anyways, love you all.

Adios Amigos <3