Chapter 5

Warmth. 

That was the first thing Nami felt as she started to stir from her long and peaceful sleep. She couldn't remember the last she had slept so well. It had been incredibly difficult the last few days alone after she thought he was gone. Last night however, she had felt at ease. No nightmares. No waking up crying or heavy breathing. 

No dead captain.

Nami's eyes fluttered open, seeing that she was in Luffy's arms. A strong yet light hold around her waist while another hand through her long hair. She could feel his hot breath against the top of her head, as he continued to sleep on. She blushed to herself upon remembering the night before, as she had invited him to stay the night in her room. She didn't know how she could've forgotten what had happened the night prior, especially something of such importance, but it did explain why she might've had the first peaceful sleep in days. 

"Mmmm..." Luffy mumbled to himself, causing Nami to attempt to look up towards him, to no avail. It wasn't like he was hurting her, but he had a good grip on her, making her unable to move. Almost as if... he was protecting her. 

This did not help Nami's blushing. At. All. 

"I wonder if he's dreaming about food again..." Nami thought to herself, resting her head back on his upper chest, easing into his breathing. While she didn't want to get caught having Luffy in the girl's room, she also couldn't think of a good reason to wake him up. He was just so warm... and it felt so nice. She proceeded to close her eyes again, hoping to fall back asleep knowing the only other person who should enter the girl's room is Robin. Sure, she would give Nami some teasing, but it couldn't be so bad right? 

"Mmm..Na....Mi...." Luffy mumbled in his sleep, causing Nami's eyes to open as wide as dinner plates and blush profusely. 

"Did.... did he really just say that..." Nami thought to herself, trying to think about what just occurred. "I-I must be imagining it... th-there's no way he actually-" 

At that exact moment, the one arm around her waist pulled her closer to him and increased the warmth, causing Nami to accidentally let out a muffled yelp. She had not expected to be pulled even closer to him, as they were already so close to one another in each other's arms. Luffy, upon hearing Nami make a muffled noise, was stirred from his sleep and also woke up, his eyes drifting open. 

"Nami...are you alright?" Luffy asked, not in a half asleep voice. On top of this, Luffy's voice sounded very rough and low as he had just woken up. Nami, who was not expecting this to be the first thing he said, nor in that tone, didn't even know how to compute a single word from her lips. She was practically frozen, even though the room temperature made her feel like she was in a spa bath on the Sunny. 

"L-Luffy..." Nami managed to get out, before feeling something shift under her side. Luffy had moved his arms away from her and lowered himself down to her eyesight so that he was able to see her. In doing so, Nami automatically felt the warmth leave from her body. She wanted it back. Immediately. 

"I wasn't hurting you, was I?" Luffy asked, now fully concerned that he had possibly grabbed her too hard in his sleep, causing her to stir in the first place. Luffy knew he was one to move a lot in his sleep, so the idea of him accidentally yanking Nami in his sleep because of... his dreams were not unlikely. The one thing he never wanted to do for anyone on the crew was hurt them. He was their captain, and he would make sure they were happy, even if that meant them wanting to leave the crew themselves. Although he hoped that day wouldn't be for a long time. They were practically family now on the Sunny. 

Nami, who was still unsure of how to respond, simply continued to stare at her captain, blushing to herself like crazy. If the room's light were on, she would definitely have looked like the paint on the side of their beloved vessel. "Does he really think that he hurt me?" Nami thought to herself. She knew the last thing she wanted was Luffy being sorry for something he hadn't even done, as he would then freak out and go get Chopper. Without fully thinking and being in the stir of the moment, Nami moved herself closer to Luffy, her left arm making its way around the back of his neck. Luffy continued to stare, as he waited for a response from Nami.