10: Alexa

I woke up very early the next morning. The sun was shining through the curtains of my room, very brightly. I got up and dressed in my favourite pair of jeans, and I wore a red flannel on top of my t-shirt. I walked down the stairs of the Institute. It was very quiet and I wondered if I was the only one awake.

I walked into the dining room, and it turned out that I wasn't the only one awake. Mathew was sitting at the table sipping a teacup of tea. By the Angel I thought, I hope I look good.

"Good morning." He said looking up at me with a smile.

"Good morning." I said while taking a seat across from him.

We were both then silent, as I ate my breakfast. Mathew entertained himself by reading a newspaper that was on the table.

"Do you usually spend a lot of nights here at the Institute?" I asked randomly. I then mentally slapped myself for sounding so stupid.

"Yes usually, because of James. Cordelia and I basically live here." Mathew explained.

"Why does Cordelia call your parents, and James's parents aunt and uncle? She isn't related to them." I asked.

"My uncle Will had a Parabatai who was a Carstairs, who lived in the Institute. So from that the Carstairs have always been close with the Herondale's, Fairchild's, and Lightwood's." He said.

"Oh I see." I said.

We were both then silent.

"Would you like to go for a walk before everyone else wakes up?" Mathew asked me.

"Sure." I said with a smile.

We both started to walk towards the doors of the Institute. Mathew opened the door for me and I walked out, right into a lady. Well I didn't walk into her, but rather through her.

"Hello Auntie Jessamine." Mathew said while walking past her with a smile.

"Hello Mathew, still handsome as ever." She said with a smile. She obviously had a soft spot for him.

"Whose the girl?" She asked him.

"She's a Lightwood from the future." Mathew explained.

Jessamine took a close at me.

"She doesn't look like Cecily or Gabriel. Well I guess she has Cecily's hair." She said thoughtfully."Anyways, have fun you two." And she then disappeared.

"Is she a Herondale too?" I asked Mathew.

"No, she's a Lovelace." He said and I just stayed silent.

We walked around aimlessly for awhile, just talking about random things. We ended up at Hyde park, just like the day before. We sat down on a bench, in front of the duck pond.

"You have a brother, right?" I asked Mathew.

"Yea, an older one. His name is Charles." He said a bit bitterly.

"Do you guys get along?" I asked him.

"Not at all. He's always following the rules, and he always wants everything to be perfect all the time. Whereas I hate following the the rules. Like my mother, he wants to be the next consul." Mathew said.

"I have an older brother too." I started. "We get along though, only once in awhile we will fight."

"You're lucky." Mathew said.

I chucked a bit. "I guess."

We then were silent. I could feel my heart racing, just by being close to Mathew. I stole a glance at him from the corner of my eyes. He was staring off into the distance, his blonde hair was falling into his eyes a bit. He really was attractive.

I wondered how he had got his blonde hair. His mother had brown hair, and his father had red hair. Who cares, I thought he was still pretty hot.

"Have you enjoyed it here so far?" Mathew asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Yes I have. It is kind of strange though, to see how the world was." I said while looking around.

"What's the future like?" He asked.

"Well there are cars and cellphones-" I started but Mathew cut me off.

"What is a cellphone?" He asked curiously.

"You use it to call a person with a cellphone as well." I explained.

"Can you do it from anywhere?" Mathew asked bewildered.

"From anywhere in the world." I said.

"Woah." Mathew said shocked.

We were silent again, until Mathew broke the silence.

I then felt the necklace I had inherited from my mother, start to pulse. Whenever it did that, that meant that there were demons near by.

"Matthew, there are demons near by." I said quickly.

"I know, I just saw them myself." He said while looking behind me.

My head snapped up to where he was looking, and sure enough there they were gliding towards us. I looked back to Mathew, who had a seraph blade in his hand. Where did he get that from? I thought.

"Do you think we can take them on?" I asked.

"I think so. Be careful." Mathew said and we walked towards the demons.

I felt my whip uncoiled from my wrist. Like my mother, the whip was my preferred weapon. We reached the demons, and I almost threw up from the smell they were giving off.

"Filthy, filthy Nephilim." One demon hissed. "You angel cannot-" before it could finish what it was saying, Mathew chopped it in half.

I started to slash the demons with my whip. The demons were fast, but I was faster. I looked over at Mathew who was having no trouble with the demon he was battling. I have fought Raveners before, they were quite deadly but they could be outsmarted.

Suddenly Mathew whipped around to me.

"Alexa watch out!" He shouted.

But it was too late. I could feel the Ravener's teeth sink into the back of my neck.

"Alexa!" Was the last thing I geared before everything went black.