19: Alexa

I woke up in the middle of the night with a scream. I sat up and rubbed my eyes. I had, had a nightmare of my family all being burned in front of my eyes. I don't know why, but every once in awhile I would have that dream.

I got up and decided to walk to the library. It was the closest room that I could think of, plus I really to go somewhere other than my room in the Institute. I walked to the library and grabbed a book off the shelf. I sat down in an armchair and read the first few lines.

"Alexa." A very familiar voice said and I tried not to smile.

"Matthew." I said while long at him.

He was walking towards me. He was wearing simple Pajama pants and a white t-shirt.

"Why are you up?" I asked him when he took a seat across from me.

"I heard you scream. What's wrong?" He asked me.

"I had a nightmare." I said trying to brush it off.

But he didn't let it go. "What about?"

"Of my family burning in a fire. I don't know why, but I always have that one every once in awhile." I explained still feeling a bit shaken up.

"Oh." Was all he said.

We were then both silent for a moment. Well this is a little awkward, I thought.

"I think I'm going to go try to sleep again, if I can." I said chuckling a bit at the end.

"Um, if you want you can sleep in my bed-if you're scared" Matthew asked very nervously.

My heart beater about a million times faster. Did he just ask me that? By the angel I thought. Of course I wanted to sleep with him-in not that kind of way. He was still looking at me very red, and very nervously

"Okay." I said turning very red.

Matthew then took my hand, and lead me to his room. Turns out that his room was only a few rooms down from mine. He opened the door and I stepped into his room. The blankets on his bed were all tangled, and some of his clothes were scattered about the room.

We then awkwardly got into bed, me on the left side and him on the right. We laid there silently for a minute.

"When are you all going back to the future?" Matthew asked me suddenly.

Oh yeah we have to go back, I thought. I had become so used to living here that I had forgotten that eventually we had to go back.

"I'm not sure." I said. "I totally forgot about going back."

Matthew chuckled. "Hopefully you don't leave for awhile. I'll miss you being here."

My heart skipped a beat. He'll miss me, I thought to myself lovingly.

"I'll miss you too." I said smiling.

"How was your brother at the ball?" I asked him.

"Dreadful as ever. All he cares about is becoming the next consul, after my mother." Matthew said a bit annoyed.

"Do you think he will be?" I asked.

"Maybe. He has a good chance since he already teaches at the academy, with Alastair." He said Alastair's name with annoyance.

"Whose Alastair?" I asked.

"He's Cordelia's older brother." Matthew explained. "Him and Charles are best friends. James and I don't like Alastair, we find him too stuffy. Thank the Angel Cordelia isn't like that too."

"Cordelia likes James, doesn't she?" I asked.

He hesitated. "Yes she does." He finally said. "Though James is too blind to notice it."

I chuckled a bit. "Scarlett likes him too. He knows it though."

"I know, he's being awfully arrogant about it." Matthew said laughing, and I laughed too.

"Who do you fancy?" He asked me suddenly.

"What?" I asked.

"Who do you like?" He asked me with a smirk, while propping himself up with he elbow.

"Oh, um no one." I lied. "Who do you like?"

"Someone you know very well." He said.

"What?" I asked confused. "Give me a hint."

Matthew then a took deep breath. "I'm laying next to her right now."

All the air was knocked out of me. He likes me? Matthew likes me? I felt my heart beat a million times faster.

"You like me?" I finally said.

"I love you Alexa." He said quietly. "That's what I've been trying to tell you lately."

He loved me. By the angel, he loved me!

"I love you too Matthew." I found myself saying.

Then in one swift motion, he bent down and kissed me. My arms went around his neck right away. Is this really happening? I thought to myself.
Matthew pulled me closed to him, and my hands went in hair.

About fifteen seconds later, we finally pulled away. He laid back down and smiled at me.

"Goodnight Matthew." I said while turning on my side.

He then pulled my closed to him, so his chin was resting in his head.

"Goodnight Alexa." He said.

*************************************
When I woke up the next morning, I knew right away that Matthew was not beside me. I got up and went to my room and dressed. As I got dressed, I smiled remembering last night's events.

Matthew loved me. I still couldn't believe it. I hadn't realized it till last night that I loved him as well. I walked downstairs and everyone was sitting at the table.

"Good morning Alexa." My mother said as I walked into the room. "How was your sleep?"

I felt my face flush, again remembering last night. "It was good."

I then took a seat beside a Scarlett and Cordelia. Straight across from me was Matthew. He was looking me with a smile on his face, I blushed and smiled back.

"Why is Matthew making googly eyes at you?" Scarlett whispered.

I chuckled a bit. "I'll tell you later."

I looked back at Matthew who was now talking to James. When he saw me looking at him, he smiled at me. I smiled too, and began to eat my breakfast.