28: James

We all walked into the council room, the next day. Alexa, Matthew, Scarlett and all of them were allowed to be apart of it, because Aunt Charlotte had made a special exception for them.

My parents and my aunts and uncles, and Alexa and Scarlett's parents all took a seat on one of the benches near the front of the room. Cordelia and I were instructed to sit in the front row. I looked over at Cordelia, who was looking down at the ground nervously.

"Are you nervous Daisy?" I asked.

She looked at me and smiled at bit. "A bit."

My heart flipped as she smiled at me. By the angel, I had really fallen for her. Just then Aunt Charlotte walked in, and everyone stood. She held herself with much more seriousness when she did meetings like this, and it made me wonder how she could be Matthew's mother.

"You may all sit." She announced, and everyone sat.

"As you all know, we are here to witness the questioning of James Herondale, and Cordelia Carstairs about the incident that happened two days ago on July 3rd." Aunt Charlotte said.

She then looked at me with a small smile.

"James, could you please come and stand before the Inquisitor and I." She said.

I looked at Cordelia who shot me a reassuring smile, and then I got up. I stood in front of Inquisitor Morgenstern, and almost flinched. The Morgenstern's weren't very nice people. He looked at me with a suspicious look. Brother Enoch then handed me the mortal sword.

"Maellartach." I spoke.

It immediately started to glow in my hands. I felt myself feeling very heavy, and dizzy.

"James Herondale, please list the events that happened on July the third." The inquisitor said.

I then listed everything that happened on that day. I almost blurted out how Matthew and I had witnessed Logan and Cordelia's almost kiss, but thankfully I barely was able to stop myself. When I was finished Inquisitor Morgenstern was looking at me hardly.

"I don't think that, that was all the things that happened. I think the boy is lying." He said.

"Edward." Aunt Charlotte said, using the inquisitor's first name."The mortal sword does not tell lies."

"It might be with him. You know his mother, disgraced with demon blood and now their son, with his golden eyes. Who knows what he truly is." Inquisitor Morgenstern said disgustedly.

"Don't talk about them like that!" My father shouted angrily while suddenly standing up.

My mother was trying to pull him back down, but she was unsuccessful.

"William, please." Aunt Charlotte said, and my father sat back down angrily. "Edward, James is a shadowhunter. You know that as well as I do."

"Okay James, you can let go of the sword now." Aunt Charlotte said to me with a slight smile.

I handed the mortal sword back to Brother Enoch, and I felt a huge weight lift off my shoulders. That's what it felt like holding the mortal sword, like there was great amount of weight on your shoulders.

"Cordelia Carstairs, please step forward." Aunt Charlotte announced.

As Cordelia walked by me, she shot me a weak smile. I went and sat down, and watched Cordelia pick up the sword. As she picked it up, you could tell that it had a large effect on her. For some shadowhunters it was harder for them, and for some it was easier.

"Cordelia, can you please list the events that happened on July 3rd?" The inquisitor spoke.

With great difficulty, Cordelia told almost the exact same things that I had said. You could tell that it was paining her to speak to, and I started to feel a little anxious.

"Is there anything else you can remember?" Aunt Charlotte asked.

"N-no." Cordelia stuttered.

"I don't believe her either." The inquisitor said.

"Why would they hide things? They have no ties to Tatiana Blackthorn." Aunt Charlotte said, clearly exasperated at the inquisitor.

"I think we should question her more." Inquisitor Morgenstern said.

As he spoke, you could see Cordelia weaken. She was trembling a bit, and she was barely holding up the sword.

"Okay, Cordelia is there anything-" Aunt Charlotte started.

"She's about to faint, you have to stop." I interrupted her, surprising myself.

Murmurs went through the crowd. I had interrupted the consul, but to me she was just my aunt.

"James I have-" She started.

"Aunt Charlotte, please." I pleaded her.

She took a look at Cordelia, who was barely standing at this point. Aunt Charlotte gave her a sympathetic look.

"Brother Enoch, can you please take the sword from Ms. Carstairs." She said.

Brother Enoch took it from Cordelia, as soon it was taken from her hands she collapsed.

"Cordelia!" I exclaimed.

I raced over to her. Her eyes were closed, gently. I lifted her head into my lap, and cradled it. At that moment I didn't care who was watching, I just wanted Cordelia to be okay.

"Daisy, please wake up." I said to her.

Like magic, her brown eyes opened. She looked at me, and she immediately blushed, which caused me too blush as well.

"Cordelia!" I heard Lucie exclaim as she ran towards us.

I helped Cordelia up, and then she was engulfed by Lucie. I left them, and went and walked over to Matthew. While I walked toward him, Aunt Charlotte stopped me.

"I'm sorry for interrupting you, I-" I said to her quickly.

She chuckled, cutting me off. "It's okay James. I should have seen that she was not doing well. You did the right thing."

She then smiled at me, and went and talked to my father. I walked up to Matthew, who had a surprised expression on his face.

"You love Cordelia." He said shocked.

I cringed. "Was it that noticeable?"

Matthew then jumped up. "By the angel, you actually do!"

I groaned. "Please don't, Welsh."

He stopped and laughed. "Well I think that you should tell her."

Just then Cordelia looked over, at me and smiled. I blushed slightly and smiled back.

"You know what, I think I will tomorrow." I decided, as I still looked at Cordelia.