18: Lucie

I sat on one of the couches in the living room late that night, trying to finish one of my stories. I had a passion for writing books and stories. I was also a bit of a poet, I guess. I could remember many poems and quotes from famous books.

I got that from my father. He was always blurting out sudden quotes and poems to fit the situation at hand. My mother and I would always laughed when he did that, though it drove Jamie a little mad.

"How's the writing going, Luce?" My mother asked while coming and sitting on the couch across from me.

"It's good." I said.

My mother and father were very supportive of me writing stories. They were both avid readers themselves, so they were always excited to read what I had wrote.

"How did you enjoy the ball?" My mother asked.

"It was good. The only bad parts were Cordelia running off, and dad bothering me about Alastair." I said a bit annoyed.

My mother laughed. "It's okay, he doesn't mean anything by it."

"I hope not." I said. "But knowing dad, he probably has our wedding planned already."

"I haven't gotten that far yet, Lucie." Said my father who had just walked into the room, he went and took a seat beside my mother.

Almost without noticing it, they held each other's hand. I had always thought that my parents love for each was very cute. I had never seen any two people love each other more, than my parents did.

"How is Cordelia?" My father asked.

"I don't know. She won't come out of her room, and she will not let me in." I said worriedly.

"I wonder what is bothering her." My mother said.

"I wonder too." I said, I then started to feel very tired.

"I think I'm going to go sleep. Goodnight." I said and I went and hugged them both, and then I left.

On the way to my bedroom, I passed by Cordelia's door. Should I knock? I thought to myself. I decided against it, she wouldn't let me in, and she was probably asleep. A few minutes later I walked by James's room.

I could hear him talking. To who? I thought. I found myself slowly opening his door. The lights were off, and he was laying in his bed asleep. I closed the quietly, and I walked over to his bed. His eyes were gently closed and his hair was a mess.

"Grace." He murmured faintly.

Grace? I thought, Grace Blackthorn? Why would Jamie be calling out for her? And then I realized it. James was in love with Grace. I almost did a victory dance, I had finally figured it out!

"No!" James started to exclaim in his sleep.

"James." I started. "Wake up."

He stirred a bit, and his eyes golden eyes opened. He sat up and rubbed his eyes.

"Lucie, what are you doing in here?" He asked me.

"I was walking by and I heard you talking in your sleep." I explained.

"What was I saying?" He asked.

I hesitated a bit. "Grace." I finally said.

James froze. Just at her name, you could see his entire demeanour change.

"She's the one you love, isn't she?" I asked him quietly.

He sighed. "You mustn't tell anyone."

"I won't." I said and then we were silent.

If James loved her, why had he been acting so dreadful lately?

"James, did something happen with her?" I asked.

"Yes." He said bitterly. "I told her that I loved her and she laughed in my face, and said that she didn't love me back."

I felt sadness wash over me. "Oh Jamie, I'm sorry."

He just turned away from me. I knew how hard this was for him. Him and I had always been raised in love, and for Grace to shatter his heart like that made me want to find her and slap her.

"Who knows that you love her?" I asked.

"You, father, Matthew, and Cordelia." James answered.

"Cordelia?" I asked confusedly. "Why did you tell her?"

"I don't know, I guess I needed a girl's opinion and I didn't want to tell you yet." He said.

"She's been staring at me from across the room lately. It's all been quite odd." James said.

My father's voice then floated through my mind, from the day of the ball." I saw her leave the room after James stopped dancing with her, she looked quite upset." I then figured out why Cordelia was so upset.

She loved James. That had to be it, with all the staring James had just talked about, and her storming off after James stopped dancing with her. How hadn't I seen it before?

"How peculiar." I said to James.

"James." I started. "If you didn't love Grace, who do you think you would like?"

He thought about it for a moment. "No one, I don't think."

"Oh c'mon, if you had to pick." I pressed him.

"Um I guess Cordelia then." James said.

They're meant to be, I thought to myself right away. I totally thought that they should date, and I prayed that it would happen. I wondered if there was a word in future for that, I would have to ask Scarlett later I thought.

"But don't tell her." James added quickly.

"I won't." I chuckled. "Anyways I'm going to go sleep. Goodnight Jamie."

"Goodnight spots." He said and laid back down in his bed.

"Oh and James?" I said turning back around to face him.

"Yes?" He said.

"If I see Grace again, I will personally hit her for you." I smirked a bit.

James just laughed. "You do that Luce."

I just chuckled, and left James's room.