2 - "Party Over"

Rochester, New YorkPeng-Su awoke to soft classical music playing from downstairs

Rochester, New York

Peng-Su awoke to soft classical music playing from downstairs. He was surprised because he and his wife didn't listen to classical music. Both he and his spouse were born and raised in China. So although they came here to make a better life, they weren't that deep into American culture.

So it must've meant his son Kyle was here. Kyle was born here so he was the Americanized one. Peng-Su smiled, usually his wife would come up and tell him that Kyle had stopped by. Being his son was forty-one, he was a busy man and didn't have time see his parents all the time. But he always tried, they were super close with their son.

Peng-Su got out of bed in full cotton pajamas and headed into the bathroom. He peed then brushed his teeth before making his way downstairs. He could hear movement in the kitchen and knew it was his wife.

"Qīn'ài de, gěi wǒ pào diǎn fēngmì chá!" He shouted, asking her to make him some honey tea.

Moments later Peng-Su turned the corner and walked into the kitchen. No one was in there, making him realize the sounds must've come from further out. He paused when he smelled something a little smoky coming from the living room. The scent was hard to describe but it smelled of cocoa.

He grabbed a glass out his cabinet and settled for a glass of water instead of the tea. He turned on the tap and filled his cup half way then walked out toward the living room.

" Qīn'ài de?" Peng-Su never spoke English at the house unless his son was there. His wife couldn't speak English really well. He only used it when Kyle who wasn't that great at Chinese came over.

Peng-Su gasped, his glass cup falling from his fingertips and shattering when it hit the floor. His wife was sitting on the recliner, throat slit from ear to ear. He couldn't see her face because her head was thrown back. The gash in her neck was so deep it almost looked like her head was decapitated.

Next to her on the armrest was White Locus. She wore all white, covered in blood. It was on her face, in her hair, and all over her all white outfit. A 6" inch Dalstrong curved boning knife sat on her lap. The crimson blood was soaked into the metallic of the blade. He could see why the cut on the neck had been so clean. The blade was super sharp.

"When you choose to participate in crimes, then turn around and tell on other people, that is called snitching, my friend. Because you chose to participate in the life."

Her voice was so calm, angelic almost. Peng-Su could see where the smell of cocoa and smoke had been coming from. She had a cigar in her right hand.

"Don't bring everyone else down because you got caught. It's kinda like that kid that brings his basketball to the court, but gets mad and takes it back home because he's not winning the game. No one likes a sore loser."

Peng-Su was in shock, he dropped to his knees feeling like it was a surreal nightmare. His wife of twenty four years sat slain in their own home. He lifted a shaky index finger, pointing at his wife but no words would come out.