25 - "Snuff"

Music bounced off the walls, the venue packed to capacity

Music bounced off the walls, the venue packed to capacity. The three parents had been worried it wouldn't be enough children at the function, but it ended up being more than they could count. Lucky for them, people they knew invited people they knew, who invited people they knew. So there was no shortage of children for the four birthday boys' to play with.

Jaxon, Phenix and Alix were dressed alike in denim blue jeans and red graphic t-shirts. Their hair was done in twists and all of them sported small diamond earrings in their ears. No one besides their parents could tell them apart. All of them wore cardboard crowns on their head with the string around their chins to distinguish who the birthday children were. 

Gene wore light blue jeans and a green t-shirt with the words 'Happy Birthday To Me' on it; with a picture of a cartoon cake and three candles. He had neat box braids and his own cardboard crown with the string around his chin. He had one arm around his teddy bear Mr. Pickles, holding him to his chest. But of course he was glued to his dad's waist. 

The music was too loud for him and the sound of the other kids laughing and running about intimidated him. If he wasn't in his daddy, mommy or big cousin Gia's arms, then he wanted no parts of what was going on today. Gene's head was on Lotus chest as Lotus moved through the crowd, thanking people for coming. 

Lotus saw more than a few people he didn't care to see. White Locus, Lisa's daughter, Keshawn and Breeze and a few more. But he wouldn't dwell on it, today was about his son. He smiled, moving through the crowd as he talked to people.

Cilia and Allele were across the room, trying to calm Casi down who was throwing a tantrum because she wanted a crown too. She didn't understand why it couldn't be her birthday as well. And though they could've easily put one on her to get her to hush; they didn't want to raise a brat. They weren't gonna let her have her way, because it wasn't about her today.

"Casi, stop." Cilia said to the red faced child who was stomping and crying. Snot was hanging off her nose and she was giving herself a headache.

She looked at her mom who was sitting to her side on a foldable chair, then pointed at the top of her brothers heads. Indicating she wanted one of the things they were wearing.

"No."

The word came from her father so she turned her head in his direction. He was knelt down in front of her so they were eye-level. That only caused her to start back up, but she didn't get too far into round two because Allele gave her a look that made her fold her lips in and cry quietly.

"It's not your birthday today Casi. When it's your birthday you can wear a crown. So stop all the screaming. If you don't stop you won't get any cake today. Okay? Stop. C'mere." Allele opened his arms and she flew into him.

Cilia watched as he picked her up and walked off to calm her down. The music was loud so he was probably finding a more quiet space. Cilia couldn't deny Allele was a great father. She might get mad and say some cruel things to him; which is something she was trying to work on. But one thing she couldn't deny was how much he loved and looked after his kids.