23 - "Withdrawals"

Lotus stood in the entryway of the living room watching Ty'kerah and Gene on the carpet

Lotus stood in the entryway of the living room watching Ty'kerah and Gene on the carpet. They were in the second living room no one really used. Ty'kerah was sitting on the floor, one leg extended out and the other folded under her.

Gene stood in the space between his mother's legs, waiting for the next item she would give him to feel. She had a banana, an apple, an orange and a pear. She was trying to teach him to feel the difference between the fruits. He was blind so he had to navigate differently.

The two parents were currently researching schools for blind babies. He would have to start attending soon so he would be able to function. As of now it was between three schools, all prestigious. When they finally decided between the three schools, it would be the highest quality one and the best one money could buy.

Lotus watched the mother of his child smiling. He had a smile of his own as he watched his son. Gene was his life. He knew what it meant to love someone so much. To be willing to die for them, to kill for them, to have them own your entire heart. That soulmate love. Gene was that for him.

"Okay, and what's this one, baby boy?" Ty'kerah asked sweetly, extending the banana to him.

From the angle Lotus was standing at, she looked like the old Ty'kerah. Because he was seeing the unharmed side of her face.

Gene reached forward and felt up on the fruit. His little mind was processing a length difference between this and the other fruits. The other three he couldn't get right for some reason. They all felt the same.

"Bayana?"

"Banana baby, yes!" Ty'kerah said, clapping.

Gene got excited and started bouncing up and down clapping for himself. Lotus smiled big and wide watching his prince.

All of a sudden Gia entered the living room still in pajamas and a bonnet like it wasn't two something in the afternoon.

Lotus suddenly ran in her direction. It startled everyone in the room, including Gene who jumped when his mother yelped. Gia didn't know what he was doing, but she started running.

"What are you doing?" She laughed, her adrenaline pumping.

"Tag. I'm trying to tag you." He said.

Gia was laughing so hard she swore she snorted. She didn't even know she could do that. Lotus was chasing her around the house like a nut.

He was fast but he was having a hard time catching her because he had on socks. He wasn't trying to bust his ass. Someone started ringing the doorbell but the two didn't care.

"Wait wait, timeout!" Gia howled, her stomach hurting from laughter.

"Make it to the front door to pause the game." Lotus replied, his teeth on full display.

They were in the dining room now—only twenty feet or so from the front door. But the two refused to stop playing.

They were making so much noise they brought one of the maids out from a different part of the house. Penny and Ty'kerah looked at each other. Penny with a smile when she looked at Gia and Lotus. She'd never seen Lotus play like this, not even with his biological daughter.