26 - "Domino Effect"

"Why aren't any of the other kids being charged?!"

"Because the other kids weren't involved, ma'am." Officer Holland spoke.

Lisa and Egypt were in the 20th precinct. Lisa was in the same precinct she was in three weeks ago, talking to the same officer who had left the voicemail on her phone about having her daughter in custody for theft. Meanwhile, Egypt was being held and questioned in another room by another officer. In some cruel twist of fate, they had ended up right back here, dealing with the same people for something much bigger than theft. 

First degree murder. 

The mother and daughter had been here since ten o' clock last night and it was eleven thirty in the morning now. They were offered food and drinks, but food was the last thing on either of their minds. Both mother and child were in fact trying to keep the food down they digested at the party.

Richard, Kemani, Chyna and Star were released to their parents. Neither would be charged in the shooting as they hadn't done anything. For Egypt and Rome it was a different story. 

"And one other child is being charged for your information. Rome Mclaine. Your daughter and Rome are being charged because they're at fault. The other children had no involvement in your daughter deciding to pull a gun and kill a baby." 

Lisa winced at the rawness of the officer's words. It felt too real for her. She had fallen out of love with Lotus for the treatment of their child; but it's never like she sat there secretly wishing harm on Lotus's son. No parent deserved to lose a child and the way Lotus and Ty'kerah lost their son was devastating. 

Lisa's right leg bounced as she held tissue in her trembling hand to wipe her tears away. "It was an accident! She didn't kill him on purpose." 

Officer Holland shrugged. "That's for the judge to decide." 

Lisa stopped bouncing her leg, the cold demeanor of the officer angering her. She understood they dealt with hardened criminals everyday. Met some shitty people who did despicable things, but Egypt was not one of them. She was an eleven-year-old adolescent who made a huge mistake. A dumb one. 

"She's just a child, why are you acting like she's a serial killer who mutilates children?"

Officer Holland sighed, sitting up and fixing his posture. "Look, I don't have anything personal against your daughter. I don't know the two of you. But I've been doing this for seven years. I see parents like you all the time, singing the same tune: my child is different, they're not like the rest. Yet your kid's history says otherwise."

Lisa narrowed her eyes. "What history? She doesn't have a history. No criminal record, nothing! The boy who was in possession of the gun has a record. He's the one with the history. Why aren't ya'll harassing him the same way? He brought the fucking gun!"

Officer Holland looked at her funny. "Wasn't she just in here three weeks ago for criminal theft?"

That silenced Lisa. Even though she wasn't indicted for it, it didn't mean she didn't do it. It just meant strings were pulled for her not to go to jail over it.