12 - "Tick-Tock"

Cilia opened the door and was surprised when she saw her brother standing there with his two-year-old son in one hand and a baby bag in the crevice of his arm

Cilia opened the door and was surprised when she saw her brother standing there with his two-year-old son in one hand and a baby bag in the crevice of his arm. In his other hand was his cellphone to his ear as he conversed with someone.

Lotus was on the phone with Noelle. The young woman who was in his office the other day when Bonnie showed up to talk to him about Lisa cutting him off. Noelle was the assistant lawyer to his general business lawyer, June Phillips. Noelle called to tell him a few details about going over his contract for the finishing touches of his mall.

Even though it was a business relationship, there always seemed to be slight flirtation and banter between the two. Lotus wouldn't lie, she was a gorgeous young lady and he thought her accent was cute. She was from Gambia. Lotus finished up his call and pocketed his phone, giving his little sister his undivided attention.

Lotus knew he was out of line showing up unannounced. But he was desperate and he didn't have anywhere else to put Gene right now.

"Can you watch him for a few hours for me, please? I know this is weird and out of line, but I really have to do something today and I don't have anyone to give him too. Ember is at a doctor's appointment."

Cilia nodded and moved to the side. Lotus came in and all the boys came running to the door when they heard the bell to be nosey. Casi was right behind them with a toy brush in her hand. She liked to brush her brothers' hair when it was out.

They all looked on in silence, staring at Gene.

"Um..." Lotus said, looking around. He put the baby bag down by his foot and lifted Gene higher on his hip. "I should be five hours. Is that too long? I'll pay you. He has over six pampers and a change of clothes just in case of anything. He has a iPod in there, he likes to listen to music. Sam Cooke especially. Oh, and a pack of gummy worms, those are his favorite. I packed extra for your kids too, so...yeah."

"It's okay Lo, I don't need any money. I got it, it's alright. Does he have any allergies or anything? Anything you don't want him eating? And what does he eat so I can cook it or buy it?"

"He likes macaroni and cheese. Pizza as well. Broccoli and salmon. But don't go out your way, just give him what you have. Thank you again, I know this is crazy but I really had no where else to go. Call me if anything."

Cilia stepped forward and Lotus kissed Gene, handing him over. Cilia expected the boy to start crying, but he only held onto her tightly and put his head on her shoulder. Cilia's heart melted, he was so small and sweet. She started rubbing his back.

Lotus bent down and kissed her cheek. They haven't done that in years, but Cilia wasn't complaining. She gave him a warm smile and watched him rush out the door.

"Mommy, dat baby?" Casi asked, pointing at Gene.

"Yes, your baby cousin."

"I one see baby." Casi requested.