Chapter FourtyThree

"I wish my brain had a map to tell me where my heart should go..."

-Anonymous

***

That night I dreamt of death. I dont know why but it started my day out. I got up and went straight to the shower not thinking about what I just witnessed in my own mind. Although I don't remember who dies. Sometimes I find myself wishing I knew who died. Other times I was proud that I didn't see. I figured out that it is impossibly to see yourself die in dream. Unless you're really dying in front of a mirror I guess... Though that would not be a dream.

Sometimes I would think that my death would be doing something so stupid, like being sarcastic at the wrong time. Or thinking a knife would not hurt me because my strength could possibly be that. Other times I am so sensitive that I tend to think that I will die with a broken heart instead.

I began to see those horrifying notes more often. In my bag, my notebook, my books, and definitely under the door when I am alone. I thought they were for Cindy because... Hell everyone should be sending her packages instead of notes. But then the notes began to say my name. I tried opening the door once the note was slit under my door but no one was there. As if they were ghost.

Kyle became more and more destin toward me. As if he was hiding something. And I am not going to lie I am beginning to like his mysteriousness it bothers me. For some reason he has become more and more attractive to me. Its called developing feelings. Which I do not want. Im trying to spend my years In Element without any feelings because its obvious that when we leave we will never see each other again.

Then there's Rico and Cameron who today will not give me a break. Especially Rico who has become more comfortable around me. Letting me in on his secrets. Which I'm not going to lie I thoroughly enjoy. Rico stole a list of available powers from Mrs.Gravels room. I remember someone mentioning that every cannot have the same ability. Which I enjoy... It brings the uniqueness.

"Lets try the pies."Cameron whispers as the list is handed o him. His eyes glow as we are led to the back of the empty caf. Of course Cameron would know where they would stash the food so he grabs four pies expecting me to eat them. "Thats disgusting. I don't eat pies." I tell Cameron as he hands me all four.

"Then its not the pies."Rico points out. THey wouldn't let me see the list. They said it could possibly be my "weakness" in my power. SO now I think they are making things up.

"No has the flying one." Rico says with a smirk.

"So?" I ask

"So lets go to the roof!" Cameron yells grabbing my arm with excitement and leading me to the top. I am aware no one is allowed on here. Not even Mrs.Gravel. So when we walk up the stairs it is like walking into a trapped floor. The spider webs crawl on me. The musky aroma makes me want to faint. I hold my nose and cover my mouth trying not to breath in the horrible air. "I swear this is a place to hide a dead body." Rico mumbles under his breath. The floor creaks as we reached the locked door. A mouse lives near the entrance of the door and I try not scream as we walk close towards it. But when it hears as it squeals and runs back to its shelter.

It took us a while to open the door but when we do we immediately regret it. As Cameron and Noel said in the beginning- more like Noel screaming- we were actually stuck under a dome. One with many walls as our burrier. The distance is long. The next city could possibly be in miles. From where I can see the walls continue. One is a fence wall, then a wooden wall, then a brick wall, and then a medal wall... then so on getting larger, stronger and thicker. The air is thinner here and the wind blows fast. "Just Jump off Skylar." Rico says sounding disturbed.

"Are you insane! and who do you think will catch me?" I point out. Basically i'm committing suicide if I fall off. And I am kinda sorta enjoying my life that I don't think I would like to end right now.

"You will eventually fall and land one someone. If your lucky maybe even someone fat." Rico says without a smile. He's not joking. He probably wants to be the only water that lives for this century.

Cameron stands at the door sensing that someone is coming up. And Rico does the same. Then here is me clueless when they grab my arm and lead me to the edge of the building. Are the pushing me off? But I realize this is only not to get caught. Quickly Cameron and Rico jump grasping onto the edge of the windowsill. I stand there still unable to move from the hight I see. I mean this place is the highest building in America... If anyone actually looked at it. Its pretty tall and wide. Its either get caught and having a speech about your Element... A memory wipe and someone checking my shoulder (Which could lead to death). Or holding on to the edge of my life... Literally.

But I chose the second objection as I throw my legs over the building and quickly jumping off holding onto the window. Inside the window I spot an empty room with a long chair almost like the ones doctors would have. Exactly like a doctor's office in fact. But abandoned.

"Is climbing on the list?" Cameron asks.

Rico grunts as he tries to shake his head. Rico has muscles. His arms are strong and he's in perfect shape. He looks like he would be doing push ups with no hands. Where as me, Even with two hands a struggle to make a quarter of a pushup. It confuses me because Rico looks to be in more paint than I am. Especially with the height.

"Someone get up and pull us up." I whisper. I can't fully talk or using my vocal cords will weaken my arms. Cameron throws his leg over in a horrible attempt making his foot slip. I can tell hes afraid of letting go. So he hold on a that piece of the wall like his life depends on it.

I can feel my heart jump out leaving me. My arms are tired. "Can someone tell me a joke?" I hear Cameron say under his breathe.

"knock knock." Rico says

"who's there."

"three idiots."

Cameron hesitates before he answers, "Three idiots who?"

"Three idiots are about to fall and crack there damn skull open."

"Thats not funny." Cameron says not trying to pull himself up. Rico pulls himself with one arm grabbing the top. "Nope. Im not doing this." he mumbles. "Skylar reach your arm out." Rico says as I take his hand immediately and pulled up.

"Rico cross out hanging in the list. She sucks at it." Cameron says pulling himself up from the back.

"You assholes! This was part of your plans jumping off the ceiling and holding on to see if I can hang... I will hang you."

I leave them on the roof heading down the stair with my hands still trembling. "Are we still up for tomorrow?" I hear Rico ask from behind.

I chuckle because as much as I still don't want to deal with them. I still want to find what Im useful for.