Chapter Two

Cindy runs across the room jumping up and down and twirling. I enter carefully placing my luggage to the side as I take in my temporary home. It's not like what I'm used to. Not how my usual room is. But it's big... Really big. How big is this area? It's like they take up the entire world. "We could fit a party in here." She says. Finally no whispering. My voice cannot stay hushed for any long. Then again I don't like to talk.

"Yea." I say. She looks at me, "You don't talk much Skylar."

        "Yea. I don't like talking. Just... Thinking." I say going to the bed next to the window. "I call this one." I mumble as I open my bag looking at the things I packed. I dig into my clothes until I feel a metal frame. Carefully I take it out staring at the happy family I used to live in. I smile as I see my fathers smirk and my mothers grin and I'm I the middle having a mixture of both. If you where to look at the picture you would say I'm an adopted child... But I just look unique in the family. "Who are those?" Cindy asks coming behind me.

        "My parents." I say. "Whoa, you look-"

"Nothing like them. I know." I cut in knowing she would say it.

        "Your moms pretty." She states. I agree. My moms hair is straight and light brown nothing like mine. I have dark and curly hair. My mothers eyes are Emerald green. Mine are blue, shades of blue. Both of my parents are tall. But I'm only 5'6. "Thanks." I finally say. I stuff the picture at the bottom of my bag. Then I lay down staring at the wall half listening to Cindy babble about her parents.

***

        "Look at me." A young nurse looks at me. She stares at my eyes and wrights down my eye color. Being specific as well. She asked me questions like what's my hobby? Reading. What I like to do? Isn't that my hobby? Or what's my favorite color? White. Then she told me that wasn't a color. So I told her blue. But I lied. I still like white, you can put color into it if you want. She also asked if I ever heard the elemental story? Of course. Then she asks if I liked to drink water... How stupid can this get? But I answered saying it's my favorite drink. I wanted to chuckle. It's my survival Miss. She asked if I was wearing a shirt under the jacket. I wanted to use my sarcasm though it would take the respect I need away. I nod and she told me to remove the jacket. I did leaving my self with a shirt that is warm yet breezy. I don't even think that made sense. She took my shoulder and looking at my mark. Her eyes immediately widen as she cleared her throat and circled something. Then she aggressively highlighted it and called someone saying it was an emergency. Wait? Am I not an element?

A man walks in and looks at my mark. "Put her in nature. I'll Inform Mrs. Gravel about this."

"About what?" I care to ask.

        "Your mark. It's against the rules to show it to anyone." He says and I know he lied. But I nod acting stupid. It won't be hard. All my shirts cover my shoulders. I smile as I leave the room. "Do you have a friend?" The man asks as I leave the room. No. Well kind of but I'm not sure she's a friend. Just company. "There's Cindy." I tell him.

        "Okay. Stay with her." He says. I nod as I go back. When I walk out of the doors Cindy is sitting in the lobby... "Finally." She says. She was waiting for me. A smile forms on my face. "What are you?" She asks.

        "Nature." I say. Even though I don't seem like a nature person. It doesn't sound right on me. "Same! That means we could probably keep our dorm. Yes." She says and grabs my hand. "Here." She says handing me a piece of paper."

"What's this?" I asks looking at it stupidly. "Your schedule."

        "We have one class together. Sadly... But we have lunch together." She says smiling. First class... History. Ew. "What class?" I ask her wondering what class we have together. I certainly don't know Cindy. But it's better having her with me. Besides that guy said I should stay with her. "We have history." She says. Thank god she's with me in that class. I never really liked history. It never caught my attention. I mean the things we learn are all dead... So what's the point?

        Yet... It's one of the subjects you need to pass in order to graduate. So I try liking it.